LegacyGT.com

2005 GT wagon question

Bertleman

I'm looking at a 2005 turbo wagon with a 5-speed it has 144k on it. The head gaskets were just done with the water pump and timing belt and cam seals. Should I be worried about the Turbo? any other major issues I should look for or ask about. Thanks for the help!

Is this the black one in VA? Just curious.

We're the listed maintenance items replaced per the maintenance schedule? Or was this a necessary repair? Is this a one owner vehicle? A high mileage one owner with timely maintenance is a good bet, but a multi-owner car that only sees a shop when its in trouble can be a lot of financial stress.

The turbo should be inspected. If you're serious: pony up the dough for a dealer inspection, and ask them to check the turbo. If the owner would be willing to remove the down pipe: you can inspect it yourself. 144k on one turbo (in an 05) isn't necessarily something that should scare you away, but it doesn't warrant caution. Factor the cost of a new turbo into you're offer if you find it to be in need of replacement.

Leak it down.

These cars can run apparently normal on a blown piston or two for quite a while as long as you keep oil in em. Only way to make sure is a leakdown. I wouldn't buy any EJ257/255 without a leakdown.

Also, I worry if the TB was "just done." It was due at 105k and is basically the one thing any owner knows you shouldn't delay. If he waited an extra 30k, I worry about what else was done. There are no "recalls" on the stuff you listed.

I wonder when the clutch was last done. If it hasn't been done, it is expensive the first time because you have to buy a new flywheel (switch to single mass).

Archived