LegacyGT.com

Is this a fuel pump problem?

96 2.2, 4EAT

Tonight on the highway I hit a bad pothole (probably unimportant) and about a mile later lost power. Pulled into a parking lot and got a P0400 and P0420 code, which I get intermittently (I'm assuming it has to do with the canister which is so caked in dirt that I think the whole thing might shatter if I touch it). While parked the idle lowered a bit and nearly died. I pressed the EGR valve and it seems to be working, but it's hard to tell with the engine running the way it is. Didn't see it activate on its own, but the engine was warm.

The fuel pump is making a deep, stuttered grumble instead of the normal noise when you turn the key on. So I'm guessing that is the problem, but I also had an improved idle when I shut the headlights off.

Also had a flashing AT Temp light while trying to limp it across the street to a better parking lot. It would sputter a bit and die, then I could start it and go a bit more and it would die. I left it rest a few minutes and it started as normal.

I have a new alternator (last month) and fuel filter (last Spring). Also a couple of weeks ago it was taking longer for it to start, but has since returned to normal.

I just want to make sure it is a fuel problem before throwing parts at it, thanks!

p0420 is o2 or cat isnt it? i have an intermittent 0420 on my dodge truck as well. mebbe the pothole crushed up your cat, or hit the sensor? id take a look underneath at the exhaust and see what gives. a blocked exhaust would give similar performance too, in my experience. i had an old K car that got a clogged catalytic, that sucker would bog down when it got hot. it would also heat up the cat to cherry red, i started a fire in a field one time with it. not cool.

Checked underneath and everything was fine, I replaced the fuel pump and it's good to go. I wasn't able to find a sock filter in stock in town though so the old one went on, at least it didn't look terribly bad. I'm going to keep the tank as full as I can though since I probably dropped a ton of dirt in there (it collects real bad on top of the pump). I think I'll devise some sort of cover to keep dirt off of it.

Archived