LegacyGT.com

15K service on 2012 Legacy

I have a 2012 Subaru Legacy Premium 2.5 (my third Subaru) which I purchased new in March 2012. I had the factory fill changed out after 3,000 miles, and had another oil change at 7,500 (first two oil changes were free). During the oil change at 7,500 miles I switched to Subaru synthetic 5w-30 since the manual specified 7,500 OCIs I felt more comfortable running synthetic.

I do not drive a lot since I work from home, the car now has 12,500 miles and per the manual the oil should be changed every 7,500 mile or 7.5 months. It has now been 7+ months since the 7,500 oil change but I only driven like 5,000 miles and haven’t used a drop of oil.

Do I get the oil changed now, or hold off until I hit 15,000 mile service interval? Will holding off jeopardize my warranty?

Also, looking at the dealership maintence schedule vs. the one in the manual they call for the air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter to be replaced along with the PCV valve…is any of this really necessary at this point???

I wouldn't change the oil until you hit 15k. As far as whether or not waiting would violate your warranty, I don't believe it would, but I can't say for sure.

Looking at the 2012 maintenance schedule from the link below, it looks like you only need to change the engine oil and filter at 15k. Cabin air filter is optional, I would take it out and visually inspect it.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance3.html#maintenance

Stopped by the dealer this morning and spoke with the Service Manager, he took one look at my car and laughed. He said come back when you have 15K miles, everything looks great espeically since you are running synthetic oil and not to worry about the warranty...just keep checking your oil level.

This sounded good to me, but being a PIA I asked him to put it in writing.

Chances are that you will never have any problems you have good oil and filter already. If a car makes short travels the oil builds up junk in it - the manual says one thing and the dealer says another. How much is an oil change at 7 months compared to fighting a factory rep about not changing your oil - it isn't going to set you back that much.

On all subies at 15K miles you'll want to do oil change w/filter and tire rotation. The major services are at 30k and 60k. I believe the manual says 7500 or 1 year whichever comes first if you are using synthetic.

You can check out our website where we lay out what we do and what fluids we use when it comes time for your 30k and gauge the dealers pricing against that. http://azpinstalls.com/web/index.php/services/maintenance/major-services/32-30k-service

-mike

Archived