LegacyGT.com

ALL power windows quit working

I was going through an atm, and rolled my window down. Afterwards, It would not roll up, along with every other window. they won't do anything.

and the left side window(normally driver side, i have rhd) has the automatic roll up on it. I guess they just used the same control panel from a LHD. anyways, it wont stick down, like it normally would when i press it once and it rolls all the way up. I also hear a repetitive clicking noise coming from that side, about every 7 seconds.

Not sure where to start. I looked for a fuse, couldn't find any. I read the system is on a circuit breaker, but I can't find where thats at.

any help is apprciated, thanks.

When i hear the left side make the clicking noise, i hear a clicking noise coming from under the dash, simultaneously. its coming from this silver relay, i can feel it click when I hold it. I unplugged it, and my car wouldn't start. and then it started after I plugged it in

subruwindow.thumb.jpg.82104f16e05f7fc0ea7cbf6cc950e2e2.jpg

I'm fairly certain the power windows circuit pulls power through the slow burn fuse labeled #1 in the underhood fusebox. It's one of the fat 30-ampers.

Windows/sunroof should run through a relay at some point too.

i did check all of the fuses under the hood, they looked good. i might have missed something though. i find it odd that the windows and fuel pump are acting up.

As soon as i tried to roll the window back up, i start hearing the clicking noise. so something before both of them must have shorted or failed

The relay for the windows is under the seat which is what I imagine you're hearing click in that area. Your legacy runs without problems? But the pump relay is cycling all the time...even while it's running?

switch the fuses and see if it changes. just because the fuse doesnt look blown doesnt mean its good enough to work correctly. check the resistance and see if it matches another of the same type that you know works. as for the relay, i have no idea. but im betting the fuse block is fed by the same bus underneath, so mebbe you can check the main and see if its got any issues.

the thing with the fuses is I don't see anything on the diagram that has anything to do with power windows. Ive checked under the hood and dash. nothing is labeled power windows.

I have read that they are on a circuit breaker. people have said its under the dash or under the seat. I didnt see one under the dash, im about to take the seat out and check it out

So i unhooked the window relay. when i went to start the car, the fuel pump relay clicked once, and that was it. so it works normal when the window relay is not plugged in.

With the ignition on, i plugged the window relay in. as soon as i did, the window and fuel pump relay started doing the clicking every 5 seconds. im not sure if this means the relay is going bad, or there is a short somewhere

I'm fairly certain the power windows circuit pulls power through the slow burn fuse labeled #1 in the underhood fusebox. It's one of the fat 30-ampers.

Honest question twist, where'd you find the windows listed as 15? I thought they ran through a SBF fuse.

well i solved it.

I put a new driver seat in a week ago. My dad told me it more than likely pinched a wire and was shorting out. i didn't believe it, because it would be odd it took a week to act up.

Sure enough it was, it was a wire with a section of the plastic rotted off of it. I guess it just happened to hit metal when i sat in it that day. Seat came out of a 04 dodge neon, so i had to make some brackets and stuff.

On the bright side, my windows roll up faster now than they did before.

Well how bout that....learn something new everyday. Good to know because with my luck I'll end up losing my windows this winter with two all the way down and -20degree weather.

Good to hear that it boiled down to a pinched wire. Gotta love the simple fixes.

Archived