LegacyGT.com

Squeek from rear of car

When I go over a decent bump (like the speed bumps at work) I hear a bit of a squeak/ creak noise coming from the rear (I actually can hear it when the front wheels go over the speed bump). That's about the only time I hear it, otherwise the car rides well.

I'm wondering if the struts or some rubber bushings somewhere would make a noise due to drying out over 16 years (the car only has 93K miles- doubtful anything is really worn in the suspension yet). Everything about the rear suspension is stock and presumably original.

Take a look at the rear sway-bar. It passes under the spare tire recess under the car (just slide under the back of the car and you will see it. It's a metal bar going across. You can actually push the car up and down from underneath it and see if the bushings on each end are the culprits.

Take a look at the rear sway-bar. It passes under the spare tire recess under the car (just slide under the back of the car and you will see it. It's a metal bar going across. You can actually push the car up and down from underneath it and see if the bushings on each end are the culprits.

I got under there and pushed up on the car and didn't see any play or movement at either of the bushings. Actually I can't duplicate the noise by pushing down on any of the 4 corners of the car either.

• 3 months later...

Update- I still get the squeak- especially when the passenger side wheels go over a speed bump. it makes the noise as the front wheels go over the bump, but the noise sounds more from the rear.

I think I hear some clunking when going over choppy gravel roads. I went under there today and was able to move each rear axle in and out a tiny bit. Is that normal? I do suspect the driver's side rear axle bearing is starting to go (I hear noise when making a right turn). I'll likely have my mechanic give a good look to the entire rear suspension wjhen he does the wheel bearing.

I had the same squeak/clunk on the back passenger side and for me it was the rear sway bar end links. I replaced them and the bushings and no more squeak or clunk. The bushings actually looked almost new and I would have left them in if I hadn't already bought a new pair but the end links were worn out.

I would try that first since they are lots cheaper than struts.

I took a look at the end links- there's a little wiggle back and forth, but I thinking it might be in part because they are plastic and they flex.

Is there much to replacing the end links?- looks like just the 2 bolts hold them on. As for the bushings, it looked like just one bolt holds those on?

Is there much to replacing the end links?- looks like just the 2 bolts hold them on.
if you jack up both sides at the same time it is pretty easy.

if you do one side at a time, it will be difficult to get the last bolt in.

i overcome this by lowering the car until the last bolt hole lines up.

the bushings are as easy as they look.

but again, easier with both wheels off the ground.

make sure they fit the sway bar.

the L is different than the GT than the outback.

How do you tell if your end links are going bad- I grabbed the sway bar and there was some movement at the end links, but it felt like some flex since they are plastic. I'm thinking whatever my issues are with the noise I hear it's likely age related (under 100K miles but 16 years old) like dried out bushings and things like that.

I don't think the struts are too worn, but are some components subject to age related failure?

if you are dealing with a squeak,

spray some pblaster in /on the bushings.

it will not last long,

but if it helps you have located the problem.

i friend had a squeak on the front,

he oiled the top strut mount,

actually iirc it was the rubber cushion between the spring and the mount.

but it worked great, solved the problem.

if you are dealing with a squeak,

spray some pblaster in /on the bushings.

it will not last long,

but if it helps you have located the problem.

i friend had a squeak on the front,

he oiled the top strut mount,

actually iirc it was the rubber cushion between the spring and the mount.

but it worked great, solved the problem.

Sounds like a good place to start (I assume WD-40 would work as well to test that out). Once this new snow melts, I'll give it a shot.

• 4 weeks later...

The WD-40 sprayed on the end links didn't make any difference, but the temperature has. As soon as it got warm again, the squeak pretty much has gone away (so it's a cold weather squeak and I had first noticed it around October/ November).

Also, my noisy rear wheel bearing seems quieter in the warm weather too (that noise seemed to start around the same time).

Archived