LegacyGT.com

Subaru LMP Motor

Spoonwacker

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/subaru-engine-for-le-mans-revealed/

Subaru’s new FA20DIT is being developed into a highly efficient racing engine for Le Mans Prototypes. The apparently radical eLMP R engine from Revolutionary Technologies United (RTU) is a 1.6 turbo charged short stroke boxer engine based on a standard Subaru block, it was revealed for the first time at the PMW Expo in Cologne, Germany.

It is expected that it will produce in excess of 550bhp and can run with very little cooling indeed due to its use of a patented ‘Pseudo Adiabatic’ combustion process. This the team behind the project would make a car using it not only highly fuel efficient but also highly aerodynamically efficient due to significantly reduced cooling demands. However the engine is on the heavy side at 130kg.

The man behind the project, Al Solari has something of an interesting past in sportscar racing but claims that this technology has already been proven on a five cylinder Audi engine which developed in excess of 800bhp. Certainly if the technology works as claimed then the engine would (aside from its weight) be highly competitive in a fuel flow restricted formula.

Performance figures and verification of the RTU claims will be announced at the Autosport Engineering Show in January on stand E1162.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/upscooby1.jpg

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/upscooby.jpg

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Interesting that they decided to keep a stock-ish turbo location. Would have expected something down low, right off the collectors. And likely no boxer rumble. Probably sounds like an angry bee spinning at 10,000 RPM.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Interesting that they decided to keep a stock-ish turbo location. Would have expected something down low, right off the collectors. And likely no boxer rumble. Probably sounds like an angry bee spinning at 10,000 RPM.

well isn't putting it low on the engine usually for the reason of keeping it cooler? If this engine runs as cool as they make it sound I'm guessing it wouldn't really matter though. Don't quote me on any of this, I'm just learning...

Putting it low on these engines is so that the turbo has access to the shortest-possible exhaust routing to spin the turbine. It's all about thermal mass and flow, and that increased distance from the source reduces both. Our up-and-behind-the-engine turbo location is not optimal as there is thermal loss between the far cylinders and the turbine inlet.

Putting it low on these engines is so that the turbo has access to the shortest-possible exhaust routing to spin the turbine. It's all about thermal mass and flow, and that increased distance from the source reduces both. Our up-and-behind-the-engine turbo location is not optimal as there is thermal loss between the far cylinders and the turbine inlet.

I have the OEM turbo low and just by the oil pan, down to the left in this pic:

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/315-2008_SUBARU_BOXER_DIESEL_Engine___SubaruCAR_net.jpg

453747.png

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/upscooby1.jpg

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/upscooby.jpg

Looks really good anyway. I suspect that the belt is a dry sump arrangement and that the turbo location is where it is to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

Looks like they are using the stock crank pulley.

453747.png

I have the OEM turbo low and just by the oil pan, down to the left in this pic:

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/315-2008_SUBARU_BOXER_DIESEL_Engine___SubaruCAR_net.jpg

Yes you do. Right where Subaru puts it on their Boxer Diesel. :lol:

70% efficiency?! Er...right! Looks pretty, but I think it's a load of horse shit, or someone just reinvented the wheel.

...To retrofit the existing engine to RTU patented technology, its needed to replace and modify, several key parts. Mainly the pistons and rings, control unit, and the entire intake manifold...

I haven't been able to scrounge up any pictures of the back or bottom of the engine. I'd like to see the exhaust routing, and where they plan on sticking the IC before they route the intake charge forward up the centerline of the engine. No doubt this looks pretty, but I'm a bit confused.
sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I haven't been able to scrounge up any pictures of the back or bottom of the engine. I'd like to see the exhaust routing, and where they plan on sticking the IC before they route the intake charge forward up the centerline of the engine. No doubt this looks pretty, but I'm a bit confused.

I was wondering about the IC too. I just can't see how they'll keep it "efficient" with how the intake is routed. Unless they figure they don't need IC b/c of the lower temp combustion process?

I was wondering about the IC too. I just can't see how they'll keep it "efficient" with how the intake is routed. Unless they figure they don't need IC b/c of the lower temp combustion process?

To me it looks like the carbon fiber manifold connects to a block that should be the IC, and that they run a water-cooled IC in order to get best airflow. A little trade-off on cooling efficiency versus getting the shortest route. It *might* be an air-cooled IC in that location getting airflow from the scoop though.

B.t.w. Subaru has done water cooled intercoolers, so it's not any revolution for the brand.

453747.png

To me it looks like the carbon fiber manifold connects to a block that should be the IC, and that they run a water-cooled IC in order to get best airflow. A little trade-off on cooling efficiency versus getting the shortest route. It *might* be an air-cooled IC in that location getting airflow from the scoop though.

B.t.w. Subaru has done water cooled intercoolers, so it's not any revolution for the brand.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about water-cooled. Definitely possible. I agree with the available pictures showing the IC on the centerline, by following the manifold.

Patiently waiting for more info to roll out.

Archived