LegacyGT.com

Tuneup Q's

I'm planning on doing a tuneup this weekend. I've owned diesel trucks toe the past five years and honestly I've never done a full tuneup on a gasser before.

What's parts do you guys recommend I would need to do a full tuneup?

Any tips on the process would help too. Thanks

Yeah, you can buy NGK wires and plugs at any auto parts store. Also, you do not need to lift the motor to change the plugs. Do a search, I have explained (in detail) every step to changed the plugs. You should have a DOHC motor if you do have the 99 LGT listed and the motor hasn't been swapped. But like I said, search for my instructions.

You can search by his posts and keywords using search....but then i just went and found it for you, sooo here you go:

Passenger side:

1) Take out the intake box (two 12mm bolts that hold it to the frame and a flat blade screw driver will allow you to pull it off of the MAF).

2) Pull off spark plug wires.

3) Using a 3/8" ratchet, a 3" or 6" 3/8" extension, and a standard spark plug socket put it into the cylinder head. Break them loose and you can use the extension to unscrew it the rest of the way.

Drivers side:

1) Remove windshield washer fluid reservoir by using a 12mm socket on whatever ratchet you want, and by unplugging the harness and the small rubber hose that goes to the hood sprayers and put the end of the hose facing up somewhere. Do this, and lifting the reservoir out quickly to avoid getting fluid all over the place.

2) Pull off spark plug wires.

3) Using the same ratchet/extension/socket combo as earlier, break the plugs loose and unscrew them.

Using a 6" extension will be the easiest. The trick to doing this is just finding a good angle for you to hold the head of the ratchet or extension while turing the ratchet. Once you do that it will be ridiculously easy.

And I agree with his instructions....it's going to be a pain. And it might take some testing out using knuckles on the extensions but it'll be easier in the end then lifting the engine(But everyone has their own way). You can Just pull the entire intake from TB back to the top half of the air box, but you'll skin up your hands trying to get the, what....3rd cylinder?, passenger rear plug with the lower half still in there.

On top of plugs/wires, oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter. That's the usual for the regular petrol tune-up. And tranny stuff if you're an AT. Can throw some through tank injector cleaner in it and clean the maf for good measure.

Sweet! Thanks. I ran a bottle of seafoam through a full tank of gas, would that be good enough?

I've been reading up on the MSD coil pack. With 164xxx on the car, is the coil pack worth the buck? Am I going to get a noticeable difference by using it?

Honestly, the only way I have ever "cleaned my fuel system" is with a pressurized fuel system cleaner that runs a presurized solution through the fuel lines from under the hood, or a cleaner fed through the throttle body. The presurized cleaner only should be run maybe once every other year or so. The throttle body cleaner maybe once a year. Maybe those intervals could be too much.

And yes, the coil pack mod is very worth it.

Yeah, you can buy NGK wires and plugs at any auto parts store. Also, you do not need to lift the motor to change the plugs. Do a search, I have explained (in detail) every step to changed the plugs. You should have a DOHC motor if you do have the 99 LGT listed and the motor hasn't been swapped. But like I said, search for my instructions.

i never said need to. just faster.

im flat rate and found it faster to remove 2 nuts and a dogbone than it is to fight with the space between the head and framerail.

Hmm I'll check it out and compare.

I'll try doing the plugs first without unbolting the mounts. If it's too difficult the ill resort to doing that.

I'm also replacing stock air filter but would you guys recommend an after market filter and/or intake system and if so, which one?

Thanks guys.

Archived