LegacyGT.com

whats wrong here?

You're not going to smell exhaust. Carbon, maybe. Maybe.

Interesting, due to carbon not having a smell. As well as carbon dioxide or monoxide being odorless. But exhaust in general, that usually has a smell, especially with older cars. Unless it's a highly unusual, highly efficient gas burner, or a fuel cell or hybrid/electric car. The only exhaust I have ever smelled that I would quantify as even slightly 'good' was bio diesel car I was behind once that smelled like french fries! Only time a car exhaust ever made me hungry!

Those air bubbles coming into the tank aren't carbon bubbles, the valves in the heads aren't called intake and carbon valves, and one more, it's not called a carbon pipe that takes the carbon gases out to the muffler.;)

Anyhow, you may have never had the experience of smelling coolant that smelled like exhaust, but I can assure you I have, and from what I have read on this forum, others have also. It is a viable diagnostic tool, and it doesn't cost anything, accept maybe a few brain cells. ;)

In most cases, unless the car in running rich, or there is a problem with the cats or something causing the exhaust to smell like gas, or rotten eggs, most people know what exhaust smells like. I can't break it down to say what chemical form it smells like, and if you ask most people what exhaust smells like, I think most would say it just smells like exhaust. Kinda like if you ask people what Dr. Pepper tastes like, you can't quantify it, it just tastes like Dr Pepper!

Btw, don't take any of what I just said personally. I'm just argumentative....

Oh buddy! It's on like Donkey Kong! (But ditto what you said)

Alright whatever...

Carbon, as a solid compound or gas (as far as the combustion engine is concerned) = some of the shit you can possibly smell (or not smell) that's exhaust related (un-burnt and burnt gas) and is deposited or burnt into atmospheric gases, and isn't an oil or coolant or whatever smell. Carbon is the result of what can't be burnt of the fuel/air (oxygen and whatever) in the combustion chamber that doesn't include oil, coolant, etc.. It also contains carbon dioxide / monoxide.

I'm going to stick with carbon gases being odorless and colorless, call me old fashioned.

My point was that he doesn't need to sniff for any smells because it doesn't matter, because if he see's bits of gunk getting inside the overflow reservoir that is what directly points to the problem.

That point was for him, as a point of denial. He sees gunk in the coolant, yet has not concluded that it is a head gasket issue. That sniff test was just another easy diagnostic tool, that could help tip the scale.

I am not retarded. Did you have fun with that?

I certainly was not calling you retarded, that would be super insensitive and very politically incorrect:lol:, but yes, I did have fun with that. I thought myself quite clever in fact.:)

So smell is visible? Again, you don't need too sniff for any smells because of the gunk buildup. I have never smelled the coolant in the reservoir, and never needed to because of that. If you want, consider that a lack of the experience.

I don't get this incoherent babble "smell is visible"? I guess your talking if you can see stuff, you don't need to smell it because stuff in the coolant always means you have a bad head gasket? I think a lot of people that have changed clogged radiators and heater cores would argue that point, just sayin'....

Also speaking of experience, 2700 posts is pretty good, but I got the smelling the coolant thing from johnegg, who happens to have 3000 posts, I personally wouldn't blatantly call anyone with more posts than me less experienced than me, but if that's how you wanna play that card, so be it.

Maybe you're smelling the stuff too much?

Hey, don't judge me, I have a glaucoma, and ADD, and ADHD.....:spin:

Rotten egg smell = un-burned hydrogen sulfide (the sulfur content in the gasoline). That is caused by un-burnt gas (something that wasn't originally and completely burned in the combustion chamber).

You might be most people, but I am not.

Hey! I'm not most people either!

You do have a great point about Dr. Pepper though. I can't argue with that. No one can. It's nothing but 23 flavors of awesome.

I'd again like to reiterate your comment, absolutely Do Not Ever take any of what I say personally. I'm just argumentative also, hopefully in a non offensive way. We are adults, and should be able to give and take a little good natured ribbing now and then without getting all pissy. And I just wanted to say, this response was extremely difficult, splitting your post up into seperate quotes to respond to, man! That sucked!

In closing, I'd like to say,

"My name is Jaun Pablo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die"

Oh, I hope we don't have anything to work out. I think we were just having a harmless debate based on some conjecture. I think it was all good hearted.

Kenny, glad to hear you got your car back. Mines been out of commission for about a month and a half. I've been downgraded to diving my '92 2 wheel drive wagon!

Supra, looking forward to hearing what the verdict is.

ok, well i skimmed through this and skipped the drama.....

Supra...mine started out like that and lasted me 6 plus months and now sits in the school parking lot with a blown head gasket

What i think what happens is that when you accelerate the gap between the failed head gasket is increased causing air to get in.... the thermostat can not tell when the temperature is when there is a big bubble covering.

You can always try head gasket sealant, but if you have a spare car, just get the head gaskets replaced with some quality ones. That way you wont get stranded and charged an arm and a leg to get the car towed, like i did.

Good luck

Wow! Hope y'all worked that out while you were at it. Certainly were thorough, but I'm not sure how much it helped the OP. ;)

i was entertained!

Supra, looking forward to hearing what the verdict is.

my friend convinced me to fix it so i ordered the parts today

ok, well i skimmed through this and skipped the drama.....

Supra...mine started out like that and lasted me 6 plus months and now sits in the school parking lot with a blown head gasket

You can always try head gasket sealant, but if you have a spare car, just get the head gaskets replaced with some quality ones.

Good luck

i tried head gasket sealent it was just a temporay fix i even tried the expensive stuff $67 blue devil but it was no good!

SO ill keep every one posted on progress ill start a thread when i start tearing it down... .:cool:

• 3 months later...

Archived