LegacyGT.com

P2092 code on cold morning

ScoobyDoo94

Hey guys, I have yet another problem with my lovely 2005 Subaru Outback XT. I started it up this morning and walked back inside to brush my teeth and all that good stuff. I drive it about 1 mile or so and the CEL comes on and the cruise is flashing. All to used to this, I plug in the code reader at a stop sign and it came back with a P2092 "OCV Fault." I carpooled with a coworker this morning so while in the parking lot I shut the car down and cleared the code. It started up and ran fine until I got onto the highway, and as I was merging the car seemed to miss really bad and the CEL came back on. Checked, same code. I grannied it to work. The whole way there the oil pressure seemed lower than usual.

I got to work and cleared the code. Came back after work and checked the oil. It was perfect. 800 miles old. But, the car studdered at low RPM's in traffic. Once I got onto the freeway the car behaved normally. I tried to recreate the problem, no luck. The oil pressure was fine. The car made boost fine.

I'm at a loss. First and foremost, is the car safe to drive? I need to go to work and don't want the thing to die on me and cause any catastrophic failure.

The lower than normal oil pressure concerns me. I change the oil every 3500 miles, the engine was rebuilt at about 112k miles. I checked the turbo banjo bolt at 113k and it was completely clean. I could barely find anything on the forums about this. I would simply change the sensor, but the lower oil pressure has me concerned.

What course of action should I take?

sounds like wrong weight of oil or a oil press problem

basically if the oil press is not right for the OCV you will get a light and codes i would MAKE sure you have the right weight oil in the car and if you do then you may need a oil press test and the OCV's replaced

Jay

Started the car this morning with no issues, no CEL. I decided to try and make the CEL come on to see what might be happening. I unplugged the blue connector to the OCV on the driver's side and started the car. It idled a little rough but no CEL. So I slowly gave it gas so that the RPMs would slowly rise to simulate acceleration. I hit 3k and boom. CEL. Code? P2092.

So, I THINK my OCV is bad. And suggestions/objections before I drop $90 on a new one? I ohmed the current one out and get a steady 9.2 ohms, which is the only reason I'm having second thoughts. IIRC, when an electrical coil is bad or sporratic, usually the ohm reading will reflect that.

Anyone?

Definitely check that oil pickup tube as soon as possible. DON'T DRIVE until you have done that check.

See this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/have-you-had-cracked-oil-pickup-tubei-202175.html?t=202175

And other threads on the same subject.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXKY20K_0tI]Subaru 06 STi Oil Pickup Failure - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

When I tore down and rebuilt the engine I checked the oil pickup and it looked fine. I drove it all day today and the oil pressure was it's usual 80-85 at 2500 to 3k. I don't think I have anything to worry about in that regard.

And also, the oil light never came on.

For ~$170 you can replace both OCV's for a piece of mind, maybe 30 minutes to do if you're doing something else at the same time? The one on the passenger side is a PITA because of the coolant reservoir bracket.. i usually just bend the bracket out of the way and then bend it back when i'm done.. or when the coolant tank doesn't line up ;-)

Archived