LegacyGT.com

head gasket questions..

and of course make sure its not scored or damaged, you can use a large block with sand paper on it to see how flat it is as well. ive put a thin layer of a dark inky stuff on it and blocked it to see if there were any low spots or pits i missed before. on V8s, V6s and I4s tho, never done it on a subaru.

I actually shipped my 2.2 heads to Cylinder Head Service in Spokane, WA. Even with the shipping ($30) it came out cheaper and faster than doing it locally (there are only 2 shops and they're just nonstop busy. One guy said he had about 20 sets of subaru heads in the back waiting). I was really pleased with their work, they even checked and helicoiled one of the exhaust studs. Of course if you're on a tight budget I wouldn't splurge on it, but for me the cost was worth not screwing it up on my first try.

for me time and money is an issue i work 6 days a week and i just moved into a new house so money and time is tight but i got 4 days off for thanksgiving only 2 of which i can work on the car. this subie was suposed to be my winter car since my winter experience last year in the 86 was quite dangerous and were starting to get snow already!

IMG_20131127_044020.thumb.jpg.51a8a655bafa6ef8d6e0176e4887dff9.jpg

What's the engine and trans combo? If its a 2.2, there should be two bolts at the top corners and two nuts at the bottom corners. At some point they switched to 6 or 8 bolts, maybe just with the 2.5? someone else can chime in with that detail, I don't know for sure.

If it's an automatic, did you remove the torque converter to flexplate bolts? That won't derail the process, but it can be very difficult to clear the output shaft with the torque converter still attached, especially with the trans not raised/ supported, and it will make for a mess of tranny fluid.

And with either trans, are you supporting/jacking the trans up with the motor, makes it much easier to clear the motor mount studs, while not fighting with the weight of the trans hanging on the back of the motor. Just be aware of what your pushing on on the bottom of the trans.

And lastly, did you remove the anti pivot rod on top of the trans?

Oh, and one more lastly, if everything else is done, sometimes takes a little tough love to get the engine to seperate from the trans. A dead blow hammer, or a thin chisel/scraper to get things started. Just remember, it's aluminum, so don't get too crazy.

first the good news the DIY head resufacing works vary vary well but it dakes a good bit of effort longer than the 30 min time given on the initial write up

this engine was torn into before i found a mls head gasket super clean heads and no ridge on the cylinder walls.

and lastly due to a err on my part i snaped off a head bolt off in the block when i did the torque sequence the book started in ft-lbs then went to in-lbs i didnt notice this......:spin: so a snapped bolt was the result.

IMG_20131130_033507.thumb.jpg.822266f55ea53eb45bb989cb0ed207e1.jpg

IMG_20131130_131339.thumb.jpg.e4254b04de731456c91cb6a2f110fefd.jpg

IMG_20131130_125516.thumb.jpg.efcfcf764f494c7f84db58a42c4d676b.jpg

IMG_20131130_150322.thumb.jpg.d93a491c23827f0f1ff7d4cc3b572ef7.jpg

Sucks about the broken bolts. Good news is once you get them out thread kits can make them better than new. :) You'll be stoked when the motor is back in and running strong!

truthfully i think ima trow in the white towel and just cut my losses i really didnt want to put alota money in this car i only paid $550 but i have had problem after problem after problem with this car it has turned into the worst kind of money pit this car is CURSED!!!!

i can only pray for the next person who owns this car... . .

im nowhere near finished that was just the first head! and again time and money is the issue i had 2 days to get this done. i dont really have time or more money to take this block an hour away to a machine shop (that wasnt even open when my friend called) not to mention the cost then ill still have to order another set of head gaskets.

im nowhere near finished that was just the first head! and again time and money is the issue i had 2 days to get this done. i dont really have time or more money to take this block an hour away to a machine shop (that wasnt even open when my friend called) not to mention the cost then ill still have to order another set of head gaskets.

I feel your pain man, but it really might not be that bad. You might be able to reuse that gasket, not sure but I'm sure someone else coud chime in. If you get an OEM fom subaru, or eBay, you can just but one and not the set. (I'd probably reuse it though)

As far as the bolt, it should come out easy. Just drill it, start small, drill straight and slow, checking your angle often. An extractor is less than $10 for a good one. Don't use those twisted ones, get the tapered square kind.

It will take a bit more time, but your halfway there, and you'll be stoked when you put it back in and fire it up!

If possible, take a brake from it. Go back when you are not under the gun to get it done. Stuff always goes wrong when you are under time restraints. And things are always ten times worse/harder when your patience are shot. Give yourself some time away from the car and work on it some more when you have a clear head and more time.

Best of luck either way.

Awww, don't give up now. I think it's cool you took this repair on- you have more guts than I do. Seems like I can do less and less on cars as I get older (I was so proud I changed my air filter the other day :-) ).

yeah this job did make me feel old i feel like im slipping a bit when it comes to working on cars

I feel your pain man, but it really might not be that bad. You might be able to reuse that gasket, not sure but I'm sure someone else coud chime in. If you get an OEM fom subaru, or eBay, you can just but one and not the set. (I'd probably reuse it though)

As far as the bolt, it should come out easy. Just drill it, start small, drill straight and slow, checking your angle often. An extractor is less than $10 for a good one. Don't use those twisted ones, get the tapered square kind.

It will take a bit more time, but your halfway there, and you'll be stoked when you put it back in and fire it up!

ive broke 2 easy outs on this car already one on the block trying to remove a snaped bolt for the water pump and the 2nd on one of the top two radiator bolts this head bolt will not be #3! IF i continue ill take it somewhere to have that bolt removed. its about 130ft-lbs worth of stuck.

If possible, take a brake from it. Go back when you are not under the gun to get it done. Stuff always goes wrong when you are under time restraints. And things are always ten times worse/harder when your patience are shot. Give yourself some time away from the car and work on it some more when you have a clear head and more time.

Best of luck either way.

im still under a gun lol its at my friends house in his garage he is moving in 4 weeks. and his garage is in his basement...

IMG_20130819_160858.thumb.jpg.d608991846267c19a2681c16f62d395e.jpg

IMG_20130817_114841.thumb.jpg.f9986db7fcb8c97874deccf148f32168.jpg

IMG_20130819_160841.thumb.jpg.a551f05a4a1296940ebda34bb07c1969.jpg

ive broke 2 easy outs on this car already one on the block trying to remove a snaped bolt for the water pump and the 2nd on one of the top two radiator bolts this head bolt will not be #3! IF i continue ill take it somewhere to have that bolt removed. its about 130ft-lbs worth of stuck.

That's a bummer, that's why I won't use those twisty ones anymore, I prefer this kind, they have never let me down.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/Idahorec/E6A5EC4D-2942-43D0-BD83-0C866592704D-427-00000116C305AF67_zps3403a4ac.jpg

Just wondering, did those others break trying to get them off, or putting them in?

Archived