LegacyGT.com

Osram Night Breaker Unlimited HB3 - First impression & thoughts

Just a couple of comparative images showing the difference between the OEM HB3 and the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited HB3. This is not supposed to be a review, but rather, to offer my first impression and to demonstrate any difference (if any) between OEM and the Osram NBU upgrade bulb.

Image 1

Left = Osram NBU, Right = OEM bulb

Image 2

Left = OEM bulb, Right = Osram NBU

Image 3

Left bulb = Osram NBU, Right bulb = OEM

(Vehicle = 2006 Station Wagon with factory OEM HID)

Image 4

Left & Right = Generic blue tinted HB3 bulb from eBay

(Vehicle = 2004 Seden with factory OEM HID)

My First Impression & Thoughts:

I have to be honest, initially when i compared these images, i was disappointed and unimpressed. I was disappointed that the NBU isn't brighter than my OEM bulb. I was unimpressed because i can hardly tell the difference based on the photos. However, after some thinking and a few hours of using these new Osram NBU bulbs, I realised that I have been mistaken, and here is why.

More light is better, but this is only true if the light is being projected onto where you need to see. And this is exactly what the Osram NBU is very good at. If you look carefully at the two images, you can see that the beam patten is in fact slightly bigger/wider than the OEM bulb (this is particularly noticeable when compared to the generic bulbs) and driving with the NBU in rural road makes a significant difference as you can see wider and further!

In terms of appearance, due to the blue upper and lower tint, NBU admits a much whiter light (yes, white, not blue!) than the OEM bulb and it certainly compliments the factory HID nicely. But then again, i don't usually keep my high beam on when there are on coming traffic, so why does it matter? :rolleyes:

All in all, I believe that the Osram NBU HB3 is ideal for those who are looking to enhance their night time driving experience. However, for those who mostly drives in urban area, the benefit may not be that noticeable.

435736343_photo5.thumb.jpg.a321476189f2a052ec1be2bc2406e9b1.jpg

178113067_photo2.thumb.jpg.b5164e06ce746a172060326bd4bee378.jpg

1513759475_photo4.thumb.JPG.b4c3bb4bde224bfdc9a85b1eb8cad2c2.JPG

IMG_0155.thumb.jpg.b7f3209f5138db6d043854d81cb8884d.jpg

In Europe we have OEM HID, so no big deal.

And the color of the low beam headlight pattern seems to match OEM HID:s too.

The light pattern looks like it's for left hand traffic, so the UK, Ireland, Australia, Japan or Hong Kong seems to be plausible.

453747.png

:stupid:

I don't know of any OEM HID systems that use a HB3 bulb :confused:

The OEM HID i was referring to is the low beam not the high beam. I believe it is D2S for low beam and HB3 for High Beam. (Please correct me if i am wrong)

Turn Headlights off.

Pull stalk back.

Take pictures.

edit: E-brake on too.

Won't necessarily be effective on models with HID lamps.

At least on mine the low beams also goes on, so the resort would be a physical masking of the low beam - post-it notes?

453747.png

HIR bulbs are significantly brighter than their regular counterparts. Seriously should've just gotten those instead of these Osrams with their gimmicky blue tint. At least the tint isn't all around and they leave an untinted strip for the untinted (untainted more like) light to come out that axis...

So if your headlights are off, and you pull the stalk back, your high beams and low beams come on?

Yep!

I can of course double-check that in all settings of the lights, but at least when the position lights are on and the fog lights are on and I pull the stalk.

And it's in the BIU that's happening. Since I don't have the means to re-program it I will have to live with it. Hand me the code and tools and I might do some fun stuff for the BIU!

453747.png

Won't necessarily be effective on models with HID lamps.

At least on mine the low beams also goes on, so the resort would be a physical masking of the low beam - post-it notes?

My lows come on with the highs, too.

I guess you could just unplug the lows if you just wanted to see just the high-beams...

My lows come on with the highs, too.

I guess you could just unplug the lows if you just wanted to see just the high-beams...

Probably easiest to pull the fuse then. Good luck unplugging the HIDs in any different way without getting a tazing.

453747.png

Archived