LegacyGT.com

Fog lights don't work need some help

08subieLGT

About a year ago, I bought a used 2008 LGT. The fog lights didn't work when I bought the car. The car came with DDM HIDs. My passenger side recently just went dead. I've read horror stories that DDM quality is subpar, so I won't be buying there HIDs. I just purchased Volt HID 5000K kit. I don't know what the previous owner did to install the DDMs. I know the 08-09 DRL does not have to be disabled and is currently working. I'm looking to get my fogs back up and working again.

My questions is

* What should I look for to get my fogs working?

* Did the previous owner have to touch the fog light wires to install the DDMs?

* Where is the wires located to disable the fog lights?

Thanks

About a year ago, I bought a used 2008 LGT. The fog lights didn't work when I bought the car. The car came with DDM HIDs. My passenger side recently just went dead. I've read horror stories that DDM quality is subpar, so I won't be buying there HIDs. I just purchased Volt HID 5000K kit. I don't know what the previous owner did to install the DDMs. I know the 08-09 DRL does not have to be disabled and is currently working. I'm looking to get my fogs back up and working again.

My questions is

* What should I look for to get my fogs working?

* Did the previous owner have to touch the fog light wires to install the DDMs?

* Where is the wires located to disable the fog lights?

Thanks

The fog's shouldn't have been touched,the aftermarket HID's work off of the factory bulb socket you are replacing with the HID....

Should I assume that the bulb's and fuse were checked?

The fog's shouldn't have been touched,the aftermarket HID's work off of the factory bulb socket you are replacing with the HID....

Should I assume that the bulb's and fuse were checked?

Yea, those were checked. Correct me if I'm wrong, the headlights and fogs turn on at the same time?

Fogs are not typically stand-alone (turns on with low beams, but off with high beams). But, there are several "independent fog" mods available - some methods involve wire cutting and others don't, both with varying degrees of success esp with 08/09's. I would check those threads and check your wiring to see if there are any indications of tampering or attempts to perform an independent fog mod. People have lost their fog light function due to a failed mod attempt.

If it was a simple plug-and-play DDM kit, no wires should have been touched. Your best bet is to try installing the Volt kit, so you have new wiring harnesses, new ballasts, and new bulbs. You don't need a relay either.

i wouldn't say ddm quality is broadly subpar, but i've found their 35w ballasts are about as hardy as the discount cost would suggest -- which makes them the usual suspect for issues. i'm counting several years of flawless performance with multiple pairs of their 55w variant, fwiw.

odds are you should be back in business when you swap in your new kit; but fog mods are a bit less plug-play in this car than lowbeams, so good advice above: to inspect your predecessor's apparent (and possibly unapparent) customization(s) carefully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

i have a 08 legacy gt and my fog lights were working fine until i installed new high beams/DRLs then when i would go to turn on my fogs, the indicator wouldn't light up on the dash and the lights didn't turn on either…. but the DRLS would come on hahah …….

i also need help with this one.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 06 and the 08 but I had the same issue when I purchased my 06 and I discovered the issue was the relay. In my car it is the bottom left relay on the panel under the dash. I have a aftermarket remote start system installed in my car and the person who installed it tapped into that relay for the starter. So now the relay is remote and touches the terminals by wires with flat pins on the end. What had happens to me is the wires seem to get really hot and eventually they break off the connectors which causes the fogs to stop working. Not sure how helpful this is if you don't have this exact issue but it is possible that your relay is shot and I believe it only runs the fogs.

IMG_6889.thumb.JPG.5586c2f959629d3c12175a5472fa4d1e.JPG

IMG_6890.thumb.JPG.0ce21f7c1afe5c1ff56a5347d10d9f9c.JPG

IMG_6891.thumb.jpg.90db13ad2027d4d00963dd7dde4b8721.jpg

And as an add on to my reply, my fogs run independent of the headlights and my DRLs are disabled. The fogs still turn off with high beams but otherwise function as running lights since I leave the switch on all the time. Both of these things were like that when I bought the car, so I know nothing about either of them.

Archived