LegacyGT.com

Heater acting weird

My heat works great, but only when I'm driving at a constant speed. When I'm at a stoplight, the heat goes away and I start getting cold air. Could it be a bad thermostat? It also takes forever to get warm air after the engine coolant temp warms up

Hopefully he used an OEM tstat. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but if your head gaskets haven't been replaced then it is only a matter of time before they go. Unfortunately the 2.5s such as yours have head gaskets that are prone to failure. The good news is that it isn't too hard of a job to do even for an inexperienced DIYer.

I'd find out if the tstat is OEM and have a hydrocarbon test done on your coolant to rule out any headgasket issues. Look for bubbles in the coolant overflow tank as well as floating gunk, white smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

Is the car overheating on you at all?

It could also simply be an air bubble in your coolant system so I would try purging the coolant system a few times..

Well you could have a restricted/blocked heater core. I'd give it a good flushing, see what that does for the problem.

Just to check, there's no overheating since you bought the car? As monkey said, our 2.5 engines factory headgaskets were screwed up so that automatically comes up with trouble shooting as a possibility unless it's already been addressed. How many miles are on it, if you don't mind my asking.

Easiest eay to find out would be to get the service records from the PO, otherwise you have to remove it: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/26238-draining-replacing-coolant-thermostat.html

A nice OEM tsat from the dealership will only run you $26 or so. There are lots of head gasket DIYs all over the forums.

But don't stress out yet, lol. I could way off base.

Well, you could have gotten lucky, and the original overheating problem could have been water pump/ thermostat related. Assuming that was the problem, and it now no longer overheats, it now sounds like it could be a flow issue. At low rpms, the water pump isn't pushing as much water as it does at high rpms. So if the coolant is low, at low rpms there isn't enough coolant flowing to flow through the heater core, but there is enough to flow through the engine and keep it from overheating, in theory anyway. I know this how I knew I needed to add coolant to my old Chevys. Since engines are fairly universal, that theory should work for any car right?

There a few 'ifs' though. Most notably, if the water pump or thermostat were the original problem. Lets still say it was and they were replaced. The current problem is likely low coolant with air in the system. Do a search for 'burping' for ideas on how to fix that.

Another 'if' would be if the thermostat was replaced, was it replaced with a subaru thermostat? It is generally accepted that aftermarket thermostats are quite inferior. It could possibly contribute to flow issues.

Another 'if' would be if the water pump was replaced, was just the water pump replaced? and no timing components? I have not done it, but it would seem difficult to do just the water pump without messing up the timing, and I'd be especially concerned with how the tension on the belt was both released and reapplied. So I'd throw out there, that maybe when the repair cost was quoted for the water pump, (and since most shops would probably include the timing kit as standard if you're going to do the water pump on a timing belt driven cooling system engine), I'd say that is about when the for sale went on it. Again though, just a theory.

I'd probably research burping the system, replace the thermostat with a subaru one for good measure first, then work on refilling the system and getting all the air out. Those are easiest things to try.

And other than checking the oil for water/air bubbles in the oil/ gray foamy stuff. To help rule out head gaskets, check the coolant overflow tank for floaters, or air bubbles while running and after it has run for awhile, and smell it, if it smells like exhaust fumes, welcome to the head gasket club.

I have rambled long enough, let us know what you come up with!

Could be air in the coolant system but, I sounds like a head gasket issue mine had a similar issue when stopped but the temp gauge went hot if yours is staying consistent i would bet on air trapped in the system. Like said above check the coolant res. for bubbles and or gunk floating on top.

Archived