LegacyGT.com

New Subie advice please!!

checkmeow

Hey guys,

So I'm dipping my toes into this forum and so far enjoying it. I am slowly but surely learning more and more about cars, specifically mine. This is the first car that I plan on dedicating a lot of time and effort to this car so bear with me as this will be a learning process for me.

I would love to hear any thoughts/comments/tips/anything a first-time Subaru owner should know. Also, this is my first car I will be modifying myself. My previous car was modified by the owner and my ex.

I live in the DFW area and am looking into the three named above performance shops. I would like to know y'alls opinion on them or other shops in the area that you would vouch for.

Here are the specs of my car so you have an idea of what pointers to give me:

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT

I learned that it has WRX rims/tires last week at TiT

Everything else is stock.

Anything will be appreciated.

**I do have an 07-09 headunit for my stereo and a sub coming from another forum member.**

Shops were not named but you have AWDTuning and Cobb. Most seem to only prefer one or the other. I like them both. I generally go to Cobb because they did most of the work on my car (before I owned it) and because they're closer to me. Between those two shops you're pretty much covered.

First thing is to get an AccessPort to tune with. You can go with other EM but most everyone is running an AP and it'll give you the flexibility to use Cobb or AWDT for help. Spend the extra money on the new v3 of the AP as it'll save you from having to buy gauges. If you still want gauges and don't need the larger display then get the v2 (though he load times are a LOT faster on the v3). Even the Stage 0 maps will get you some gains, even with the 5EAT.

After four Subarus (my last being a mostly-stock 2005 LGT) I can say tires and suspension are the first bits to upgrade. If you are truly running RE92s those need to go, but can wait until they're worn out. I like the Spec B suspension but the Bilsteins are pricey for what you get so maybe go with KYB/AGX and springs. Beware not to lower the car too much so if you're sticking to street I would look for springs that are about 1" lower than stock. Get a larger rear sway bar to get the back end to rotate a little more. Personally I love brakes more than power mods (you have to stop eventually, and often not as controlled as accelerating), but they are $$$ so just make sure you have good pads and maybe add in some PowerSlot rotors down the road.

Power mods beyond the AP Stage 0 can wait. Leave the air filter alone, it's a waste to spend money on upgrades to it until you're making stupid amounts of power (400whp+). I think the 5EAT has a transmission upgrade, ClimberD locally has some invention that helps the auto so he'll need to chime in (he's also the resident 5EAT expert). UP/DP are next easy step before TBE. After that is turbo, fuel system, and other really expensive bits.

Shops were not named but you have AWDTuning and Cobb. Most seem to only prefer one or the other. I like them both. I generally go to Cobb because they did most of the work on my car (before I owned it) and because they're closer to me. Between those two shops you're pretty much covered.

First thing is to get an AccessPort to tune with. You can go with other EM but most everyone is running an AP and it'll give you the flexibility to use Cobb or AWDT for help. Spend the extra money on the new v3 of the AP as it'll save you from having to buy gauges. If you still want gauges and don't need the larger display then get the v2 (though he load times are a LOT faster on the v3). Even the Stage 0 maps will get you some gains, even with the 5EAT.

After four Subarus (my last being a mostly-stock 2005 LGT) I can say tires and suspension are the first bits to upgrade. If you are truly running RE92s those need to go, but can wait until they're worn out. I like the Spec B suspension but the Bilsteins are pricey for what you get so maybe go with KYB/AGX and springs. Beware not to lower the car too much so if you're sticking to street I would look for springs that are about 1" lower than stock. Get a larger rear sway bar to get the back end to rotate a little more. Personally I love brakes more than power mods (you have to stop eventually, and often not as controlled as accelerating), but they are $$$ so just make sure you have good pads and maybe add in some PowerSlot rotors down the road.

Power mods beyond the AP Stage 0 can wait. Leave the air filter alone, it's a waste to spend money on upgrades to it until you're making stupid amounts of power (400whp+). I think the 5EAT has a transmission upgrade, ClimberD locally has some invention that helps the auto so he'll need to chime in (he's also the resident 5EAT expert). UP/DP are next easy step before TBE. After that is turbo, fuel system, and other really expensive bits.

Oops, sorry about that. Top Speed in Addison, AWDTuning, and Cobb. So far, I like the work that both shops produce. I'm always impressed and the cars I see that get work done from either shop look great.

As for tires, should I get fatter tires or get better quality tires? I really like my stock wheels but I have found some that I really like. I don't want to go any bigger than 17".

As for suspension, I have no clue where to start. I know I would like to get some springs. I plan on lowering it no more than an inch so I'm still able to drive over speed bumps as they are plentiful here in DFW.

I have always loved StopTech brakes, not quite sure why. Probably because my ex got me into them. I would definitely like some bigger brakes. I still love power mods, I guess I'm pretty equal.

Yeah, the air filter does the job right now. I'm not concerned about it at all LOL

I will have to check him out and see.

I plan on documenting from the start of all my upgrades for my safekeeping and for y'alls enjoyment :)

Building yourself certainly benefits you in that you get so familiar with the car and how it behaves. I used to have access to a hydraulic lift and did most of my own work, but since I don't anymore I usually just make someone else do it for me :lol:

Better tires is all you need, there isn't a need to go crazy with them. I still prefer high-performance all-seasons for Subaru: you already have the traction advantage of AWD so all-seasons will help your wet, dirt, and occasional snow performance. They also generally have longer tread life. I have Yoko Advan S4s on my car, they do well enough and still break free when I want them to. 17" are smart. Unless you're in it for looks bigger (or flashy) wheels mean more rotational inertia which hurts acceleration and braking. Your tires get more expensive, too.

I think I have RalliTek springs. Not sure they still make them but they do well enough if you can find them. They lower the car about an inch. Check with one of the shops and see what they recommend.

StopTech is expensive. I have the Cobb-rebranded StopTech BBK front and rear on my car. They're the best brakes I've had on anything but replacement rotors run $300 a corner so be prepared. Just get yourself some OE-replacement cryo-treated PowerSlots from Frozen Rotor and keep good pads on them and you'll be good to go.

Building yourself certainly benefits you in that you get so familiar with the car and how it behaves. I used to have access to a hydraulic lift and did most of my own work, but since I don't anymore I usually just make someone else do it for me :lol:

Better tires is all you need, there isn't a need to go crazy with them. I still prefer high-performance all-seasons for Subaru: you already have the traction advantage of AWD so all-seasons will help your wet, dirt, and occasional snow performance. They also generally have longer tread life. I have Yoko Advan S4s on my car, they do well enough and still break free when I want them to. 17" are smart. Unless you're in it for looks bigger (or flashy) wheels mean more rotational inertia which hurts acceleration and braking. Your tires get more expensive, too.

I think I have RalliTek springs. Not sure they still make them but they do well enough if you can find them. They lower the car about an inch. Check with one of the shops and see what they recommend.

StopTech is expensive. I have the Cobb-rebranded StopTech BBK front and rear on my car. They're the best brakes I've had on anything but replacement rotors run $300 a corner so be prepared. Just get yourself some OE-replacement cryo-treated PowerSlots from Frozen Rotor and keep good pads on them and you'll be good to go.

Yeah, the last thing I want to do is rush myself, spend all this money, and not understand what I've done to my car.

I'm too scared about connecting wrong wires, putting something on backwards, or just be plain stupid.

I've been looking into some Yoko's for my car. I've always enjoyed their tires on all my past cars so I am definitely leaning towards that. I do plan on just candy painting my rims. I don't want to mess with my stock rims, I like the amount of spokes it has, just a nice ratio/ balance to the car.

The springs I'm thinking about buying at the Tein H. Tech springs.

StopTech are great brakes, will definitely do some more research.

Archived