LegacyGT.com

Center pulley bolt

You can put a breaker bar against the frame or the ground, disconnect the ignition coils, and bump the key. there are also holes between the engine and transmission that you can get to (from under the hood) and stick a screwdriver in- that's the best way to torque it back too. Make sure you use a strong enough screwdriver though. The holes are very small and hard to find the first time.

You can put a breaker bar against the frame or the ground, disconnect the ignition coils, and bump the key. there are also holes between the engine and transmission that you can get to (from under the hood) and stick a screwdriver in- that's the best way to torque it back too. Make sure you use a strong enough screwdriver though. The holes are very small and hard to find the first time.

That's interesting. You wouldn't be able to narrow down where those holes are would you. I would imagine that a lot of time could be wasted looking for them, or even if you found the right ones. Are they on top, on the side or even under the car ?

Hello;

It's been awhile since I have done this, the crank bolt is left handed (I believe). I took a longer bolt and ground a 30 degree cone on the end. If you look on the right hand side of the engine bellhousing there is a threaded thru hole. I thread in the bolt until it hits the flywheel starter teeth and rock the shaft to be sure the cone engages the teeth and tighten. If you have a automatic, just pull the upper housing cover and use a prybar to lock the flywheel. Hope this helps, Steven.

i did mine before i saw monkeys good pics for it, i used a chain plier with a piece of timing belt on the pulley to get it loose. had a friend hold the pliers and i used a 24" breaker bar with a 2ft piece of conduit as an extension. worked like a charm.

What a great piece of advise. I wish I knew about those holes years ago. When I think about all the maori ways that I have used to tighten that bolt over the years and all the time there has been a hole there that I only needed to stick a screwdriver in. If only I'd known. The first thing I did after reading this was to go and check it out, and sure enough there it was only two seconds to stick the screwdriver in and it was held securely so the bolt could be tightened. I can't believe it, a manufacturer making a car with maintenance in mind, there's a first.

Archived