LegacyGT.com

Gauge cluster lights dont light up when headlights are on

I have a 1997 legacy GT and the other day I noticed when I went turn on my headlights that the gauge cluster no longer lights up. It is not one single bulb that went out, because none of the gauges light up. The warning lights such as check engine, brake, abs, ect still light up but i can not see my mph rpm gas or temp at night. I have looked at the fuse box both in the car and in the engine bay of the car and there are no fuses that look blown. Does anybody know which fuse this is or if it is not a blown fuse that is the problem?

Mostlikely your illumination relay/module. If you remove the panel under the steering wheel/above your knee when driving, you'll see it screwed in there. It'll say illumination or something like that. Your gonna have to try it with a working one

Or..... Did you dim the illumination lights all the way down?

Or..... Did you dim the illumination lights all the way down?

^^^hahaha this, I spent an entire day at work once gearing up to rip my door apart b/c at some point my window lock magically got pushed on and I didn't notice. Luckily the blonde moment was over by the time I left to go home.

I'd swap a new fuse in just in case it broke on the side where you can't really see it. You can check the module with multimeter somehow....across the return wires or some such. The other culprit could be that the dimmer stock/multiswitch has shit the bed all together.

Archived