LegacyGT.com

Smell of gas in cabin

Usually this is after a fill-up and I think (anecdotal evidence) that the fumes disappear once the gauge reads around half tank. It is not a strong smell and maybe it is my sensitive olfactory nerves. When walkint through a parking lot I can smell a car that has a coolant leak a mile away. :lol:

Yesterday I filled the tank. When I got home I started smelling around. I pulled the carpet cover up and smelled the fuel pump cover and nothing. I got a stronger smell when I was underneath the rear and smelling the rear of the tank. In the picture if I stick my nose up in the what looks like a channel --- where the tank meets the body at the rear. I got a good whiff of fumes. This morning I could smell minimal fumes in the same area.

Any ideas? Is there a vent someplace that spiders and bugs like to hide and clog?

97 Outback Limited

PA300013.JPG.0d238f87871f3a1e6440fb29847f8402.JPG

I always suspect evap canisters but didn't know where it was located on the 97 Outback.

The evaporative cannister should sit behind the tank, behind the passenger's side quarter panel- prehaps it's from there?

Is that a 2.5?....i'm not great with outbacks. If it's the 2.2 then canister will be in the ass....if it's set up like the legacy's 2.5 it'll be in the engine compartment passenger side front and look like what a "canister" should look like not the box one.

Is that a 2.5?....i'm not great with outbacks. If it's the 2.2 then canister will be in the ass....if it's set up like the legacy's 2.5 it'll be in the engine compartment passenger side front and look like what a "canister" should look like not the box one.

It depends on the year... 96/97 2.5 cars have the canister in the engine bay. 98/99 2.5 cars have the canister in the rear.

So yeah, you're right. I didn't look at the year. The canister will be up front. Soooo that can't be your problem.

I haven't smelled it lately but will fill up tomorrow.

If evap can you all mean carbon canister then yes that is in the front and is a black round one.

It depends on the year... 96/97 2.5 cars have the canister in the engine bay. 98/99 2.5 cars have the canister in the rear.

So yeah, you're right. I didn't look at the year. The canister will be up front. Soooo that can't be your problem.

Archived