LegacyGT.com

probably strut bearing noise

It started a few days ago, while turning around (three point turn) in my driveway, I started to hear the noise. It was like a squeaking door hinge while turning the wheel around.

I am guessing that this would be a strut bearing noise. Most of my cars have been later models that have shocks and I liked it that way. No spring compression needed. I am not familiar with strut assemblies.

I am assuming that you must remove the assembly to replace the bearing.

There was a guy that used to work behind the parts counter that was a subbie fan and he once told me he can remove the tower and wheel assemble without compressing the spring. Hm....could that be true.

What is the best way to change the strut bearing?

You will need to remove the strut assembly from the vehicle. That part is relatively straightforward and shouldn't take but 10-15 minutes if your bolts aren't too rusty. The guy behind the counter was correct - you don't need to compress the spring or anything to remove the assembly from the vehicle.

You will need to compress the spring to remove the upper mount with the bearing, however, in order to replace it.

Yeah it is the spring compression that I'm not a fan of. I know it is rare but it has happened that those springs have gotten loose while compressing them and -- look out! The old way with shock / no strut there was no danger. From start to finish. on my 90 Jag I could change the front shocks in about 20 minutes.

Guess I need to invest in a good / safe spring compressor.

You will need to remove the strut assembly from the vehicle. That part is relatively straightforward and shouldn't take but 10-15 minutes if your bolts aren't too rusty. The guy behind the counter was correct - you don't need to compress the spring or anything to remove the assembly from the vehicle.

You will need to compress the spring to remove the upper mount with the bearing, however, in order to replace it.

I used two sets of spring compressors that I borrowed from Advance Auto two years ago when I replaced all four springs and struts on my car and I'm still alive! It's definitely a bit freaky to do, but I just made sure to keep the spring axis perpendicular to my location, lol. Probably not much safer, but made me feel better.

ive done a ton of those replacements in my friends shop. just make sure you get a compressor that has bolt on rings and all is good. the one we use has 1/2" hardened bolts for the main compression and 1/4" Ubolts for the ring clamps. havent had any issues yet. oh, and use a paint marker to record the registration of the shock, mount and such. its a pain on some cars to try to reset it correctly.

edit: like this one.

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_39617701?hei=315&wid=315&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Archived