LegacyGT.com

My 1st post just trying it out

Hi guys,

I joined months ago, but I haven't gotten a chance to post yet. I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy GT. This is my first Subaru even though I have owned it for 2 and a half years. I've always owned domestic cars, and my last car was a Saturn Ion Redline. I have a couple of goodies under my hood and as I get older(32 years old) it seems like the need for more power has kicked in again. I Know that the 2.5 n/a motor will not make 200whp or even to the crank with out forced induction, so don't worry about me asking dumb questions but I do ask to have patience with my spelling and grammar:redface:

Welcome aboard. You'll find lots of tricks and tips for your Subie in these pages and a lot of knowledgeable folks also post here. I like this forum because it is specific to our cars. Seems like in every other Subaru forum everybody's got a WRX.

thanks Stevo! well in 2 1/2 years of owning this car I think I know a thing or two about the car. I just got engaged a couple of months ago so I want to put a couple of goodies be for my other half takes my wallet away, I could go and buy a new car but I'm and old school kind of guy when it comes to some cars body styles, so until the wedding comes I'm free to to whatever I want..........well almost anything :rolleyes:. So far intake,pulley,stage 1 combo flywheel and clutch,short shifter and just the kby gr2 shocks cause the springs did not fit:mad:, the last mod was done 5 months ago and I told my self that I was just going to drive the car till the end and no more mods,:spin: but I have the "itch" for power.

I hear you about liking the old school body styles- I just bought my '98 wagon this summer and think it looks lots better than most everything on the road today. I'd like to keep it as a daily driver until my youngest son graduates (so i can save for college) which is in 6 years. It's only just turning 93K miles now, so hopefully lots of miles to go.

I hear ya, my legacy looks newer than a 1999 car and has style too. My son is 14 and he is going to need a car so I was thinking of giving him the legacy, hopefully the itch will go away, idk about you but I have the feeling that the government has a button that they can press to make the newer cars brake, anyway I know that the ex-wife is going to ask me to buy my son a car

I'm actually going to pass on my much newer 2007 Corolla to my middle son when he gets his license sometime next year. Of course the Corolla already has 20K more miles than the '98 Subaru. My boys aren't too interested in the Subie, but if we get bad weather it can get my oldest son to college and back if need be.

Well I have 3 more years for my son to actually get his licence, I'm thinking that this car might last me when I give it to my son as his first car...... My first car was a 1988 dodge colt whith a Mitsubishi motor so my son better like the legacy. I'm thinking that I want to get every bolt on available so he can save his money for something else and at the same time I will enjoy it too for now.

im the opposite. right now i have my son driving my 95 wagon and one daughter driving my 96 GT. i told them both the cars are mine, they wont get them. the boy bought his own truck that we are restoring, the girl is bummed and wants to find her own subaru lol.

Don't get me wrong guys, this is my first subi so I don't know the potential of it so I'm intrigue of the power that it can make, I treat this car really well and if I do manage to find out its potential I'll be happy. Now I work hard to have what I have and when I said that I was going to give to my son, I will have some rules as to how I will give it to him. We as parents we all want to teach the values of life and make them know that nothing comes for free in this life. Oh and by the way I was driving and my speedo got all crazy on me, 70mph to 0 and did it a couple of times.

Hello Twisty;

I find that when young adults have some sweat equity into the cars, are likey to be taken care of. Keep up the good work, Steven.

all 3 of my kids grew up either playing in the driveway while i worked on cars or helping me. the boy is 16 and has replaced and rebuilt more motors than some mechanics i know. im ok with that, gives them a better sense of ownership knowing what it takes to not only get, but to maintain their cars.

Oh and by the way I was driving and my speedo got all crazy on me, 70mph to 0 and did it a couple of times.

Welcome!

That might be related to an alternator not producing or creating the proper voltage to run everything or may be failing. It can also be caused by the battery doing the same as described. I could be off but I will leave it to the other guys to further clarify - I know I'm on the right track.

As for improving performance there are several things you can do - I will out line a few below. You can also check out the resource directory I am putting together, it has a ton of stuff and I add more daily. The link is in my signature below.

Power Mode” for 95-98 legacy 4EAT’s (NASIOC forums)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2081503

Power Mode Selection write up with pics (subaru-svx.net)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39133

MPG FAQ

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3506949&postcount=3

Engine management FAQ

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3506952&postcount=5

Second Generation (95-99) Suspension Upgrades / Info (igotasubaru.com)

http://www.igotasubaru.com/archive/index.php/t-36.html

Parts Interchange (sl-i.net forums)

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=268278&sid=d46a9dad5c5221abb4fe4c0a0ec25672#p268278

I just pulled these from the directory because they are all listed there. You can also find a direct search query under the Clist tab for both parts and full model sales. I've bought a few donors and sourced parts from this list.

Hope that helps!

The only reason I look at other peoples cars is so I can see my Subie in the reflection - Carver Snell

Check out 2nd Gen Legacy Enthusiast & Resource Directory

Archived