LegacyGT.com

Why won't it throw an EGR code

Not to delve into my other problems with the car, this is a question about the EGR.

Since this car is OBDII - I would assume that it can detect when the EGR is not working correctly. So when I remove all the lines to the EGR valve, I am not getting a code. Why would that be?

I've driven two days with the EGR lines removed and no codes. To me that seems odd for an OBDII compliant car.

Well, I was going to say, egr only kicks in when a certain set of variables are met....certain temp range/rpm/etc. and that maybe you hadn't hit them.

But that was before I read the "two days" part. That.....that has me stumped. Hell, even two minutes you'd likely have egr pop open. So two days you should have been throwing all the egr codes possible (high/low/incorrect flow)think there is one or two more.

Mine is opposite and likes to throw the egr codes. Making getting my car inspected a pain. So this could come in handy if you figure it out :lol:. Let me know if you find anything out.

^^that one, egr is normally used to lower combustion temps and only kicks in around 2300 rpms..I deleted all hoses, tubes and left the valve body and sensor plugged did plug the i/m with a m16x125 bolt.

Imo the car ran great had no pinging or knocks and got 24mpg mixed driving and didn't have a single code before it left my driveway. One of the wierdest things ever because about six months ago the valve itself siezed up and threw a code, replaced the part the code went away. Soon after o deleted and no code was given.

My 95 Legacy has a tendency to throw an intermittent EGR code, I can go weeks and then...boom it throws the code. On the 95 I've done all the EGR cleaning, new gasket, etc.

Then you have the 97 that as hard as I try, it won't throw an EGR related code.

On the 97 I did the same thing with the gas cap removed looking for a code. Drove two days with the gas cap off and no code.

I sometimes wonder about the health of the car's computer.

Mine is opposite and likes to throw the egr codes. Making getting my car inspected a pain. So this could come in handy if you figure it out :lol:. Let me know if you find anything out.

I'm not sure if there was much if any difference. WOT onto the main road and no pinging was noticed. Maybe I noticed a possible lower MPG with it disconnected or it could have just been my driving for those two test days was more stop and go traffic.

i wouldn't worry about it .

the more important question is , does it run better or worse wirth it unplugged?

Archived