LegacyGT.com

Debating upon getting rid of her or keeping her 'til she's toast

so recently i was under the car because my friend gave me a glasspack to install on the car, and as I was down here i noticed that the rear subframe (correct me if I'm wrong about the name) or the huge metal part that holds the rear diff and bolts on to the rest of the body with 4 bolts is rusty/rotten around the bolts. basically I'm concerned about this whole section to collapse when I hit a good bump or just with time, and on top of that i still have to take care of the rusty quarter panels. is that rear subframe really hard to find for a good price with no rust? other car compatibility maybe? because if it's not i can get that, replace it and keep it, otherwise i might as well just get rid of the car before all that happens. let me mention that i bought the car for 500 with a shot rear diff, had it replaced for 970 and then did wp and timing belt by a subaru tech for about 1k so im 2 grand into the car already

does subaru still sell the quarter panels at all? i've tried searching but no luck, i know some places still have the fenders which I will eventually get

Sorry bud but the rear quarter panels are part of the unibody. If they are rusting your only options are to cut and weld in some you cut out of a donor car or attempt some serious bodywork.

Do you have any local junkyards to comb through for subframe parts?

I say drive her into the ground!!!

Buy another shell with no rust for 500$ and swap what you need over. Labor intensive, but you wont have too much $$ into it. Strip the rusted car and scrap it, that will leave youwith lots of spare parts if something else goes wrong. Eg:steering rack,stupid auto seatbelts, motor control devices, hoses, bushings, tierods, brakes ect... . I did this but I wish I had kept more parts off the car I scrapped.

Archived