LegacyGT.com

Oh great and wise Tri-Staters

TrueWhiteBoy

(the New England folk sent me this way)

I'm planning to visit some friends in Hamden CT for a few days in October.

(and also look at pretty trees and experience "weather" :lol: )

I'm flying into Newark, but I think I'm likely to have a day or two to myself and was curious

1. If you had recommendations on the best route to get to Hamden.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=ewr+to+hamden&saddr=ewr&daddr=hamden&ll=41.267485,-74.30603&spn=0.279729,0.808868&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=np&t=h&z=10&geocode=FaMhbQIdPmGU-yGG8tfFN7TzsynvDOzF4VLCiTGG8tfFN7Tzsw%3BFcZ3dwIdMpin-ymJd4YZc9vniTHx5DjNjWPdcQ

Google is recommending this, but I'm not sure it's ideal (not that familiar with the area and the last time I got stuck in a bunch of traffic when I hit NY)

2. Cool restaurants or sights along the way

Welcome to the right coast your flying into the armpit of Jersey :redface::lol:

I would agree to stay off I-95 when possible. Foliage may be gone if you wait much longer it's peak already in most places up there. Enjoy!

I've done that drive many times going to school in New Haven.

The easiest way is to just take 95, but that may very well be a parking lot of crushed dreams and road rage.

I preferred to take the NJ turnpike over the George Washington Bridge. The 1st exit take the Henry Hudson Pkwy north to the Saw Mill Pkwy to the Cross Country Pkwy which turns into the Merrit Pkwy (rt 15). This route also gets bad (as they all will) around rush hour, so try to avoid it at those times. Parkways are nice bc large trucks are not allowed to travel on them.

as a non-east coaster, I can sympathize with the "parking lot of crushed dreams and road rage" experience of driving on east coast roads. Stay off the roads during rush hour, it's horrible (like the parking lots LA calls freeways). The GW bridge had a backup when we crossed and it took 2 hours.

With regards driving, assume everyone will cut you off. That said, traffic seems to move in bunches and you can wind your way thru the bunches into the open section pretty easily.

Bring dollar bills & quarters for the toll roads.

radar detector was useless when I went. Everyone drove over the speed limit.

Enough with the grumpy stuff...I'd go back in a heartbeat. Probably get a more peppy car, tho.

Archived