LegacyGT.com

How to tell if miles are legit?

I just got my car 1 week ago, with supposedly 900 miles. It looked very dirty inside when it arrived, lots of rocks etc. So they cleaned it up and delivered it to me, no problem. So today, I take it in for warranty issues and they are saying the car was built in 6/04 so it is 14 months old. It also had chips on the hood and windshield (they are going to fix both) and the exhaust has a lot of rust on it already.

What gives?

Would you be suspicious of the miles?

How much tread are the tires supposed to have on them?

TIA

Guest *Jedimaster*
There are ways of changing digital odo's, but that's a big nono. Sounds like the car was a demo and got the piss beat out of it.

Would the ECU assist in "telling" of the use? Hrs. the engine has run, et cetera? Are the tires OEM? Wear? Another case of Dealership nonsense?

Cheers,

MS

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

lots of little pebbles, it was teh only one left in the zone (7 state area) that fit my quals, so I didn't really have a choice if I wanted it or another one. The 05s are going quick with the rebates. The car just looked exceptionally dirty for a 'new' car.

It was dealer traded twice which accounts for about 500 of the (highway) miles, but still.

^^^ Remember that "dood deals" also depend on your area's demand/supply, and also could be affected by other special circumstances. :)

My question here is why the car was in such a rough shape.

Winky was a demo, and with 6000+ miles on her, was completely fresh. Same with my dealer's other demos on the lot (including two other LGTs and also extending to their other demo vehicles).

I don't understand why any dealership would fail to maintain - and maintain well, at that - their demos, as I'd think that no potential customer would want to ride around in a poorly maintained demo vehicle, which would, to me, speak badly not only of the dealership, but also would cause me to second-guess my choice of vehicle (even for a "new" one off their lot) in-general! :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

my 2.5i was "new" and it was freaking FILTHY so I wouldn't sweat it too hard...

the paint and outside were fine but the interior had lots of shitty spots... and the WHOLE windshield had this nasty fil mon it like it was smoked in for delivery (it was driven by a driver from my dealer from another dealership to mine).

Is it not common/good practice for a dealership to deliver a "new" car washed and clean? Frankly I'm appalled that cars can be delivered in such condition given that people are spending $20k+ http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4489/furious37cx.gif

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Is it not common/good practice for a dealership to deliver a "new" car washed and clean? Frankly I'm appalled that cars can be delivered in such condition given that people are spending $20k+ http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4489/furious37cx.gif

I, too, was, I think, spoiled by my parents' years at Lexus.

Damned if that thing wasn't without a crumb inside or a single speck of dust outside whenever we took it in for *anything*.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived