LegacyGT.com

The mystery rattle

Ok guys and gals, Ive been trying to figure this one out for quite some time. So i get this rattle (as heard in the video) it happens between 1000-2000 rpms but really only on the down fall. It happens once its been running for a few min but not when its cold. It happens while driving, parked, in gear or neutral. If i rev it up above 3-4k it will NOT do it on the down fall between the 1-2k range. It did become more noticeable once i put the intake on it. I do have a couple ideas what it may be. Im thinking maybe the cat is broke or the Waste-gate actuator.

Now i started the video just after i started the car, the car was a little warm. As you can hear i try and duplicate the noise, After a min or two you can start to hear the rattle. I started the video on the passenger rear of the car and once the rattle started you can see where i brought the camera around to the drivers side, then i brought it back around to the passenger side down by the turbo at the end of the video.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It's clearly metal-on-metal, seems to be internal to the exhaust itself - possibly the UP catalyst decomposing and bits rattling in the turbine. Otherwise, it appears to be associated with the WG activity. I would imagine that this is also affecting your knock sensor given its proximity to the turbo.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived