LegacyGT.com

Driver's side blows heat, passenger doesn't...

Quick question....

So when we detach the heater core hoses, doesn't it let air get into the cooling system?

A little, yeah. When you disconnect the hoses, you can put a plug of some sort in them to keep them from draining, or just tie them with something so that they are up as high as you can get them.

After flushing the core, eventually with clean water, then blowing it out with air, you can then (if you prefer) fill the core somewhat with whatever antifreeze/water mixture you use, then re-connect the hoses. Also, frank_ster suggested reversing the hoses any time you do this, which seems to help dislodge some stubborn crud.

Then start up the engine and let it warm up, then turn it off and let it cool down fully. Top off the reservoir with antifreeze/water and call it a day.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I usually top off both that one and the reservoir above the turbo. I've heard lots of descriptions of burping the coolant, jacking up one corner, etc, but I haven't yet had the need to do all that. Whatever car it is, I usually just check the levels the next couple of times it cools off fully, and top it off as necessary.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Archived