LegacyGT.com

Assuming 4 seats and no more than 1 yr old, what performance ride for less than $45k?

Keep the ideas coming... I love it. Several I hadn't thought of.

I just took a look and compared the Cadillac ATS (the v6) to the upcoming Chevy SS and they are the same price, similar mileage, but I'll bet a slight performance edge to the SS. The Caddy is 500lbs lighter but down 80-90hp. Id give the Caddy the edge to being more of a drivers car ( based ony on read reviews). Both 50/50 weight distribution and good brakes.This will be interesting.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it wasn't for the 1 yr old limit, I think the Pontiac G8 would fit the bill.

I think so to but I'll need a GXP with low mileage thus the 1yr comment. I put on 90/day so kind of pointless to buy a high mileage car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Don't get me wrong, the ATS is a great car, but if you need a good sized back seat you might want to look elsewhere. I would bet given a similar power to weight, the ATS would drive circles around the SS. The ATS just handles THAT good.

I've been keeping a log of our ATS turbo here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2012-cadillac-ats-ats-v-162458.html?t=162458&highlight=ats

PS Pfadt just released a 550hp turbo kit for the 2.0.

I'd love to pick up a lightly used SS in a year or two, but residuals will most likely be pretty high, like the G8.

I don't think so. The G8 was only available for 2 years before Pontiac shut down, making it an almost instant collectible, especially the GXPs because of the very low production numbers. There was also no replacement from GM at the time.

My guess is that the G8 values will drop a bit when the SS hits the market, but because it was the last great Pontiac, they will still be pretty strong in resale. The SS doesn't have that uniqueness. Look how fast CTS-V and Vette values drop. The SS should be as bad or worse.

I hope you're right. They're only going to build 10 - 15k per year, so it's not like there's going to be an abundance of them like the Charger.

Yeap, total built, in Australia. And that figure includes performance Holdens to sell locally.

I doubt that US soil would see more than a few grand a year.

Quoting Chevy exec:

"If you look at its competitors, it's going up against the Dodge Charger SRT8, the Chrysler 300 SRT8 and the Ford Taurus SHO," Fitzpatrick said. "If you look at how many cars are in that segment, it is only about 3,000-5,000 cars for the entire calendar year."

Asked if Chevrolet SS sales in the range of 1,700-2,000 units annually would be sufficient to call the car a success, Fitzpatrick said: "I would agree."

So expect to pay full MSRP in the first year and you probably would have to put down a deposit just to be able to test-drive the thing, cause otherwise everything would come pre-sold, not available for test-drives.

It's a solid car, but I'd test the Camaro SS 1LT to see if adults fit in the back. Same platform and much more readily available.

Yeap, total built, in Australia. And that figure includes performance Holdens to sell locally.

I doubt that US soil would see more than a few grand a year.

Quoting Chevy exec:

So expect to pay full MSRP in the first year and you probably would have to put down a deposit just to be able to test-drive the thing, cause otherwise everything would come pre-sold, not available for test-drives.

It's a solid car, but I'd test the Camaro SS 1LT to see if adults fit in the back. Same platform and much more readily available.

Uh, you do know that even though the basic platform is the same as the Camaro that the SS and the police spec version are both stretched considerably right? So sitting in the back of a Camaro of any kind will tell you exactly nothing about the back seat of an SS. :lol:

Go ahead with your research project though and let us know how it goes.

So sitting in the back of a Camaro of any kind will tell you exactly nothing about the back seat of an SS. :lol:

Hm, who exactly said that Camaro's back seat will tell you anything about SS?

My point is that SS is gonna be hard to even get a test-drive in. So try a Camaro SS w perf. pack and see if it fits the bill. I doubt it has much less space in back than an S5 for an occasional 300-mile trip.

Archived