LegacyGT.com

Brake question: replacement caliper bleeder screw

Is the bleeder screw in my 98 GT's rear disc caliper specific to that caliper, other than thread pitch and diameter? I'm wondering about the taper angle at the base of the bleeder.

The bleeder in one of my rear calipers was pretty well rusted into place. I bunged up the wrench flats getting it off, but it did eventually break loose. The flats of the taper at the base of the screw were quite corroded. Got a NAPA replacement that matches thread pitch and diameter and threaded in just fine. I did not do anything to the bore in the caliper.

During bleeding, it took more torque (by feel) than the spec'd 8Nm to shut off fluid flow. I moved on to the next caliper, then came back to find that fluid had welled up in the hollow of the bleeder screw. I soaked up the fluid, and it continued to do the same again. Seems obvious that the bleeder is not making a good seal in the caliper body, just not sure why.

Thanks Steven. That sounds likely given how the bleeder looked when it came out.

What's odd is the other rear caliper is doing the same, but that bleeder was not stuck/corroded.

Archived