LegacyGT.com

Need Help with P0441 code 97LGT

Last year I bought a 1997 Legacy GT with a motor from a 98 Legacy GT. When I bought the car the check engine light was on with a P0441 code (Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow). The car runs fine and drives fine with this code except for when I fill my tank to the top. When I fill my tank all the way, The car for the next 50 miles has trouble receiving gas, the gas pedal will sometimes stiffen up and the rpms will drop for a second or 2 and then be fine. The car would also stall when cruising at low rpms sometimes after filling up to the top. Since I discovered this I havent filled the car up past 3/4 tank and she has run and driven fine for the past few months. I am now looking into fixing the evap system and am having trouble finding the problem. I replaced the purge solenoid this morning with one of a parts car, cleared the code and went for a drive. the code came back after 12 miles. Does anybody know what may be the problem or how to fix it? Could it be that when the previous owner did the motor swap he incorrectly hooked up the vacuum lines or something?

Archived