LegacyGT.com

bent valve?

i got my legacy in pieces to make a long story short the owner before me had the intake timing marks lined up wrong on the driver side i turned the cam gear to line them up but i just read in my repair manual NOT to turn the cam gears when the timing belt is off or i could bend my valves.

is there any way to tell if ive bent my valves?

I was changing the timing belt on my 1997 DOHC motor and I freaked when the drivers side cam moved on me. If I recall correctly it rotated to the right.....just rotate it back left to the mark and you are good to go (don't spin it all the way around, this is the way that you can bend a valve I think)

Just line up the cam's on the intended lines and you will be OK.

Search youtube on this subject. There are lot's of good video's that helped me out.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

on the 96-99 je25D engine the usual damage of bent valves is caused by valves hitting valves.

not valves hitting pistons.

so it all depends where the other valves were when you rotated the intake cam.

if the exhaust cam was at rest, all valves closed, no worries or damage.

if the exhaust valves were open and you forced the intake valves past them, then maybe.

but the only real way to tell with out pulling the head and having it tested it to hang a belt with the correct timing and run it.

chances are you are ok.

you can test start the engine for a few minutes with no covers or AC / ALT belts.

it will run on the battery.

if it starts and revs ok it would finish closing it up and take it for a test drive.

Archived