LegacyGT.com

hum/buzz noise above 4500 rpm

I have a 2007 outback XT 5EAT, I noticed last weekend that I would get this unpleasant buzz/hum noise above 4500 rpm. I noticed it mostly when the car would downshift going up hills an shoot into the higher rpm and then this very not nice sound comes from like under the dash to the front of the car. I've been keeping the car in Intelligent and driving it very easily, but I'm worried just because I don't hear the sound in lower rpm doesn't mean it isn't happening. My exhaust over powers just about any sound from 0-3500 rpm.

The car has 79k on the clock, Less than 1k on new VF46... was replaced when I put on the downpipe an exhaust. I was planning on getting road tune by mikey to get her properly set with the new parts but then this sound came up. Which has me all worried, I had the tranny completely flushed an refilled @73k. An I topped it off this weekend to be full while hot.

I'm lost with what it could be, I read cv joint or axels make such noises but I would think it would get louder with speed and not with rpm.

Exhaust leak

Hmm... I have a borla exhaust put on like only 3 weeks ago (was used 6 months prior on my friend car with no issue), could it be possible from the heat after driving it the joints got lose, as they are held by clamps... Could I retighten them, while they are still warm like 10mins after I park... thus eliminating as much of the heat expansion movement. As I looked under the car about a week ago as I heard borla's leak, but couldn't find any black spots where I'd leak.

However I noticed last week or so so whenever I reverse out of my driveway on cold start something shakes or rattles not the deep rumble I was used to. But once it warms up in reverse no rattle, an I don't floor it in R so I never hit 4500 rpm.

I got back from the dealer with news that well... Everything is okay to drive, but my rear diff is starting to go? Seems kinda soon for only 79k, I'm going to get a second opinion as Subaru asked $1300 for new diff installed...

But after that they said I'd be fine driving it as is until it wears completely... An then my car could drive with just FWD, until I have money to fix it

Although is there any damage I could do to the car running it till the rear diff dies? As They told me the bearings will eventually wear out completely… When I think of bearings I think of little balls if those were to and explode wouldn't they locked up all the gears. An cause some serious issue, especially cruising 75 down the highway?

Archived