LegacyGT.com

Never titled 1990 Miata with 27 miles in eBay!

So this guy finds this car and buys it for $1500!

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=509106&highlight=low+mileage

Never titled, stored forever.

Decides to clean it up and put it on eBay.

Jalopnik picks up the story:

http://jalopnik.com/this-showroom-grade-1990-mazda-miata-has-just-27-miles-1126733177

This may be the only example of a non titled original first generation Miata with the lowest miles. They are saying the warranty may still be honored.

Crazy!

X

---

Bet it doesn't have that new car smell though.

When I worked at CarMax I had someone come by to appraise a car from some Middle Eastern embassy. It was a 60's convertible Mercedes and only had 800 some miles on the odometer because it belonged to the Sultan of whatever. CarMax obviously didn't offer a lot for the car since it is such a specialty item.

I am not that tall, but it is a comfortable fit. Sometimes I feel less comfortable in my girl's mini. I have been in the 2nd generation one as well and it feels the same. Never driven a 3rd gen.

Anyway, I would love to know what this dude's reserve is. Regardless he is already making bank since he just bought it for $1500!

X

---

Judging from the thread on m.net, I'm guessing his reserve is $15k.

At that it's still a good buy for a prospective collector. All of the parts that will need replacement (hoses, seals, etc.) are still available from Mazda, and are relatively cheap. The car can probably restored to as new driving condition for less than $2k, assuming no major internal motor issues, which I would doubt with AZ storage.

At a $17k investment, that's a good deal for an investor on this car. Japanese enthusiast cars have been going up in value (big time) over the last few years, and I can easily see this car bringing $25k at auction in less than 5 years.

Edit: My only concern is the actual legal status of the car. It was obtained from the someone selling the 'assets' of a storage company that went out of business. The car was there because the owner stopped paying storage fees and disappeared. The storage company apparently never sought legal ownership of the car, and now (apparently) a bonded title has been issued. If the original owner, or his heirs get wind of this, they could come looking for 'their' property. And strictly legally speaking, it may be theirs. If I were this guy I would have consulted a lawyer, and spent a little more time working out the history of the car, and ensuring it was legally 100% mine before putting it up in front of the world.

Nice.

BTW, I'm taller than 5'8" and enjoyed the hell out of mine, on the street and track. Even did a 2k mile road trip around the CO rockies last summer and several 1k+ trips to CA. Pretty comfortable car, really. Not a lot of luggage space, though.

If I'd had the space to keep it, I probably would have.

Edit for gratuitous pics:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/3-16-13Heavymetal_zpsf53b4664.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/IMG_4903_zps42f26a46.jpg

I drove one in HS, do not remember the experieince to well as it was for a short period of time and the only reason I was driving it was because the owner couldn't keep it going. It was pissing oil and coolant and wanted to die if you weren't giving it gas.

I can tell you that the s2000 is too small for me as a friend bought one a few months ago. I can fit but it is not comfy at all.

@rodan, did not know you had sold it. Sweet Miata.

@05GT_Guru The MR2 Spyder also feels a lot smaller. Of course I also feel that is more of a girl's car than the Miata for some reason. Then again any automatic Miata is an automatic fail.

X

---

Thanks.

After I bought the Vette, I agonized for a couple of months then broke down and sold the Miata. The Miata had a more direct connection with the road, and better driving feel, but everything else, the Vette does better. I thought about keeping it for just a track toy, but just don't have the space.

There's a reason Miatas are the most raced production car in the US.

Archived