LegacyGT.com

New car buyer with some questions

Xee

Hey all. With my current car beginning to show signs of its age I've started looking for a new car in the $25k and below range. This is my first time buying a new car so I'm learning things as I go along. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Mazda6 and (obviously) the Legacy GT Sedan. On one hand the 6 has price and incentives going for it but on the other hand the Leg has performance, longevity, modibility and more of a luxury feel. Hands down, if I can come up with a decent down-payment I'm going to go with the Leg. That being said, I've got some general questions on purchasing a car: 1. Stick or Auto? - Having driven auto's all my life (I'm 22) I've never had the need to learn stick. Though, almost every car-enthusiast I know has said it would be sacrilege to get an auto with this car. So I'm just wondering, besides the price factor, is there really a huge difference between the two types of transmissions? I've heard on several reviews of the GT that there's more lag with an auto than a manual but besides that I haven't heard anything else. (btw, I'd be learning stick on the parents' Tempo if it came down to that). 2. Financing - For those who financed the car, what interest rate are you paying? Did you go through Subaru or an outside financer? I remember reading in an old post someone saying they were paying 1.9%. This must have been a local or time-sensitive special because right now Subaru is not offering any incentives on the '05. 3. Purchasing Online - After reading up on tips for a buying a new car - among them [URL=http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html]Confessions of a Car Salesman[/URL] - I've started looking at some of the online brokers that you can use to buy new cars below MSRP and sometimes below invoice, such as carsdirect.com. Anyone gone this route or know of anyone who has? I'm sure there will be more questions later. ;)

This is a Legacy board so everyone is going to reccomend the Leg over the 6 and for good reason, it's a superior vehicle. Incentives etc. are all very well but remember the 6 will depreciate al lot quicker than the Legacy so keep that in mind. I bought a new Volvo through carsdirect back in 1999. It was an overall good buying experience but they are taking a commission from the dealer you buy the car from so keep that in mind. Never pay over MSRP for any car (except an Elise or something similar with a waiting list) and aim for a figure between Invoice and MSRP that you are happy with. Dave.

As far as the tranny is concerned, I think that there will be a noticable difference in performance between the 5EAT and the 5MT. In all honestly I think that you should learn to drive stick anyway. You never know when you may need the knowledge. Personally, if you don't know any better than you may be satisfied with the auto. You should certainly go drive it beforehand! Good luck, and welcome to the board!

I just got back from an introductory test drive.. you know the one where you get used to the car and make sure it's okay for your needs but don't really pace it. I need to go back for a more performance-oriented test drive at some point. Also it was a wagon not the sedan I am interested in. It was an okay car though. I felt all old driving it though. =\ As for auto or manual, if it's your only car and daily driver, get the LGT auto. If it's a fun car, get an STi (manual). :lol:

Archived