LegacyGT.com

95 legacy overheating question!?

Yes it is, do you have reason to believe your water pump or t-stat has failed, or had to remove your timing belt or have you done any recent work to your car?

Typically when your heating up like in that situation means air..but the more info you give, the more prompt and logical responses will be received.

check to see if your fans are on when its anywhere above half way up the gauge.. you wont need the fans when you're moving, but if you sit still they need to kick on to keep it cool.

i bet your fans are not working, nothing else will really cause the condition you describe.

use a test light or multimeter to check for voltage at the fans when the engine is starting to get too hot. if theres voltage, the fans are bad. if theres no voltage, the switch is bad.

really? The fans are needed but that is not the only cause guy

what else would cause exactly the condition he describes? it only overheats when the car is not in motion. the thermostat doesnt care if the car is moving, nor does the water pump unless the impeller is severely damaged somehow. then i'd imagine the cooling would be insufficient all of the time.

Bubbles in the system can cause the car to overheat at idle in my experience. Purge the system again. Any time I drain the coolant I run the car in park or neutral for a while and watch the temp gauge. Make sure you are using an OEM Subaru thermostat.

Archived