LegacyGT.com

is it worth getting the 07+ head unit over an AUX from Leptronix?

i am considering searching junk yards for an 07 head unit, but the Leptronix kit should be about a third of the cost. is there any real advantage to getting the 07, or it will just be more factory looking?

• I Donated

YES. I hate to speak ill of someone doing nice things for the community, but I was NOT happy with the sound quality on the Leptronix. The P-204UH upgrade (07-08 HU) is the way to go IMO. Plus, you get other nice features too, such as the ability to add iPod/BT functionality through the SAT port.

Although, that setup would be pushing $400, and a JDM double-DIN and a nice non-DVD/nav aftermarket headunit would only be $550ish...

While the Jazzy and leptronix are good if you have the chance to get a P-204UH headunit then by all means do so. I like it because I have an option to add a SAT kit or Ipod kit to have it integrated. Also it has MP3 CD capabilities as well as SRS surround on it witch makes the system fantastic for a stock Headunit!

• I Donated
Is the hu in the 07-08 N/A the same as the GT?

The one from the Limited is, the one from the base and SE is not. Basically, you need the automatic climate control. The model number for the auto climate control one is P-204UH; the model number for the manual HVAC knobs is P-204UN.

I honestly found my P-204UH for about $140 shipped. I scoured online searches for junkyards around the US until I found one. They sent me a pic of the unit and I payed by credit card over the phone. I never had the Jazzy or Leptronix on my 05 unit but after I got the Isimple for my iphone connection and the bluetooth module it was well worth it. No splicing of wires and everything was plug and play.

• 8 months later...

If I get the 204UH or UN head unit, can I add an outboard amp / crossover, sub & upgrade the 4 speakers??? Any help or ideas are appreciated

The stock sound quality, no matter the sound source, is garbage :)

You can't use a P-204UN on an auto climate control car. I do not think the stock headunits are compatible with aftermarket amps.

Can someone, anyone PLEASE tell me. How the heck can I get these TWO things in my '05 LegGT A/T wagon :eek:

1 aux-in (iPhone/iPod would be nice but not required)

2 great sound

(not "award-winning." just, loud, clear strong.)

If you want great sound you have to ditch any sort of stock Subaru head unit... Garbage in, garbage out. Especially with Leptronix you are not getting any sort of high-quality audio.

Then again the Leptronix is about $100 and an afternoon, and the next significant step up, JDM double din with head unit, amp and speakers, is about $1000 and a couple days.

This AMP will work.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60631_Alpine-KTP-445U.html

I went the 204-UH route........added the factory SirrusXM receiver. Love it.

Looks good thank you! ...to use with:

JDM head unit kit + double din head unit

sub + speakers

right? I better $tart $aving

FYI (just an idea for anyone who knows what I'm talking about) for aux-in audio on the move (fast corners, doesn't budge)

• Palm (HP) Pre 2 (the pre3 was too large and slid off too easily)

• with Music (Re)Mix app music player - amazing easy interface

• mounted on a Touchstone wireless magnetic charger, mounted on center console or dash someplace

• with 1amp charger

I had this set-up in my IS300 SportCross and it was simply amazing

• I Donated
Wow! this is excellence! Then I can choose 'any' double din head unit from here on out?

I know this isn't plug n play anymore, but in your opinion just how complex is this to do. Doesn't look simple

It's pretty much plug-and-play once you get this:

http://ae64.com/i88FRharness.htm

Really not complex at all. No harder than installing an aftermarket radio in most other cars, certainly, and much easier than it was in my mom's A4.

Looks good thank you! ...to use with:

JDM head unit kit + double din head unit

sub + speakers

right? I better $tart $aving

He is saying that amp works with the stock headunit.

FYI (just an idea for anyone who knows what I'm talking about) for aux-in audio on the move (fast corners, doesn't budge)

• Palm (HP) Pre 2 (the pre3 was too large and slid off too easily)

• with Music (Re)Mix app music player - amazing easy interface

• mounted on a Touchstone wireless magnetic charger, mounted on center console or dash someplace

• with 1amp charger

I had this set-up in my IS300 SportCross and it was simply amazing

I don't know why you would do that rather than BT audio or an SD card or USB stick if you have an aftermarket HU. I am using an SD card with my headunit with the JDM double-DIN kit, and it works great, with the controls totally integrated into the HU.

It's pretty much plug-and-play once you get this:

http://ae64.com/i88FRharness.htm

Really not complex at all. No harder than installing an aftermarket radio in most other cars, certainly, and much easier than it was in my mom's A4.

Gotcha. Needs the i88 + 14pin harness as well

He is saying that amp works with the stock headunit.

OK thanks. No need then. At least, not this amp in particular

I don't know why you would do that rather than BT audio or an SD card or USB stick if you have an aftermarket HU. I am using an SD card with my headunit with the JDM double-DIN kit, and it works great, with the controls totally integrated into the HU.

Because I have found the interface of navigating SD cards via double din touch screens to be maddening at best.

also if your metatags (mp3 tagging) or whatever they're called aren't consistent (whose are?), good luck navigating your own music. "I never knew Unknown Artist recorded so many hits"

not to mention inferior sound from any SD card.

also BT supposes your "handheld device" is always charged & stays that way. with my solution, the device is always charged because it lives on a live charging dock, in the car.

That's why :rolleyes:

Archived