LegacyGT.com

love the car - worried about built date and probs

So I am psyched to have finally picked up my lgt mt wagon (non-limited:D) last month. I now have 1500 miles and have been really enjoying the truly superb performance - especially after completing the break in period. I absolutely love the car.

This is my first ever new car and there are a few things that dissapoint/ concern me. Maybe some of these things are normal wrinkles that need to be smoothed out of any new car - but I do worry. What do you want, I'm a New Yorker. I worry.

1. Broken floor mat hook. You know - the simple hook that is supposed to keep the mat in place - just popped out. It is not cracked or anything but I still can't get it back in place. This is is a really silly design and/or workmanship flaw that is not the biggest deal, but it does annoy me that it broke.

2. Green wire with male "telephone jack-like" plug hanging from below the dash on the passenger side, right next to center a/c and audio column. WTF? Loose wires in a new car? Anyone know what this is?

3. Rattles. Two very distinct ones. It's not just the rough sound to be expected from a Subbie. It is two really distinct and different rattles coming from the dash. Also - the seam between the ash tray and audio modules is not even. It widens slightly towards the passenger side:mad:.

4. Headlight beams are not even. I see two distinct rectangular patterns from each beam. Normal for this type of headlight? Maybe this is not a prob?

5. Built Date concerns. I forgot to check this when buying the car. I checked it yesterday and realized it was built 7/04. It had less than 30 miles on it when I picked it up but I worry that some of the recalls may not have been applied. The one I am really worried about is the potential failing side air bags. This was a prob in early 05 Leggies that was corrected. How can i know for sure that my side airbags have been properly installed/corrected? Anything else I should check with this vintage?

Thank you all. I look forward to actually contributing to this excellent forum when I learn more about the car.

1. Dealer will fix it right up, see attached TSB PDF

2. Dealer will fix it right up, see attached TSB PDF

3. The glove compartment is not a tight and quality fit, it rattles for me on rough roads. Me too the seam on the passenger side is a lil tinsy wincy wider than the driver side

4. Yup normal

5. Air bag recall was fixed a while ago and you car's build date is after the production line change was implemented, See attached Service Campaign PDF.

Edit: According to the Service Campaign PDF, dealers are required to have done the Side Curtain airbag recall for any new or demo cars, so don't every worry about it, but confirm with your dealer if you're paranoid. :)

Floor Mat Hook.pdf

Sub-woofer Wiring Harness Re-routing.pdf

Side Curtain Air Bags.pdf

Floor Mat Hook.pdf

Sub-woofer Wiring Harness Re-routing.pdf

Side Curtain Air Bags.pdf

I keed I keeed

the floor mat hook is a common problem, in fact i beleive there is a dealer service bulliten out about it, and if you take it in they should replace it with a new, redesigned hook.

those green wires are the 'test connectors'. Unless you have a cobb accessport, just shove those wires under the carpet or up under the glove compartment. Dont worry about them though, they are normal. (you / or the dealer would connect them when you want to do diagnostics on the car or reflash your ECU)

rattles, common. plenty of threads about various rattles and how to track them down and get rid of them. I've managed to ignore most of mine which seem to be coming from the dashboard area, mainly around the radio -- like you said, the seem isnt even so the two pieces rub together and i get a squeeking rattle.

headlight beams, the pattern is normal, it's so that you don't blind oncoming traffic -- i'll see if i can dig up a picture of what it should look like (chances are yours are normal)

build date - if your worried about the recalls, talk to the dealer you you purchased from. They should have a record of if the recalls were taken care of or not. Mine was an 8/04 build date, i bought it in feb. - and the dealer had taken care of everything that needed to be taken care of. I dont know if there is a way you can look at the airbags to see if they okay or not thought. - call the daealer.

1. Dealer will fix it right up, see attached TSB PDF

2. Dealer will fix it right up, see attached TSB PDF

3. The glove compartment is not a tight and quality fit, it rattles for me on rough roads. Me too the seam on the passenger side is a lil tinsy wincy wider than the driver side

4. Yup normal

5. Air bag recall was fixed a while ago and you car's build date is after the production line change was implemented, See attached Service Campaign PDF.

green wires under the glove comparment != subwoofer wires, those are under the drivers seat.

I have had my car two weeks and notice a couple of problems. The passenger side curtain airbag cloth material is coming off. I do not know if they replaced the airbag because of the recall and then did not replace the material properly. But, I am going take it in to have it fixed.

Also, my friend noticed that the passenger side back seat squeaked. It has a really annoying squeak in the seat. Everytime I hit a bump the seat made a noise. I had not heard that earlier because I have been listening to the music too loud or listening to the little purr of the boxer engine!!

Wow. Thank you very much for the excellent information. I'm glad to hear these issues are no big deal and have already been addressed by other owners. I'll check the car's vin # against those on the airbag bulletin and make sure everything was handled appropriately.

melayout and rallispec - thank you for having taken the time to answer these ?s.

You know... I do wish there was better quality control in the manufacturing process. Build quality should just be better - that's all. Luckily Subaru placed much care and attention to the important part: the engine.

You have to realize the cars are not imported from outside the US, but assembled on a newly reconfigured production line at the Subaru of Indiana Plant(those who took the tour correct me), so naturally the first year will have bugs that will be ironed out along the way.

As is evident, Subaru has officially acknowledged and fixed many bugs in the 05 models, so the new 06 models should be tiptop.

Hopefully, the list of 2006 TSBs(Techincal Service Bulletins) won't grow beyond last year's list .

I keed I keeed

• 2 weeks later...
Why would anyone really give a shit about a carpet hook as a car issue?

It makes a difference, trust me:

http://4wheelracing.com/scooby/aimpact.jpg

That was my first Impreza. Little nubs on the floor mat used to keep it in place slowly wore off into the carpet until there weren't enough to hold on. Bumped the floor mat up over the accelerator and under the brake and... that is what happens when you slam an Impreza sideways into a utility pole at 50mph. I am very much in favor of the floor mat hooks.

I hope your aftermarket floormats have eyelets for those hooks, then, cause mine certainly doesn't. :(

On a different note, I bought my Leg 2 months ago. It was a demo model and came out April 04. I noticed that the hooks hadn't been replaced and the wire catcher wasn't installed on the wire holding the gas cap. It makes me wonder if the side curtain airbags had really been replaced or not.

What ways can I take to ascertain that it has been replaced other than asking the dealer? Prying open the A pillars is probably the last thing I'd want to do, too. Can I go to some website or call Subaru Canada and ask if they've gotten the report that the job had been done?

Archived