LegacyGT.com

my car LOVES to knock....

SSpeed

I've posted this before in a slightly different format, but looking for some clues... my car loves to knock, it did it in stock form, it did it with Cobb OTS maps, it did it eventually after a protune.

During the protune, he saw some initially knocking and adjusted the base maps. That seemed to do the trick, for a bit at least... The tune was still awesome and it feels great, but the car learned it's way back to knocking.

Here are the specifics... it almost never knocks at WOT... it's always pulling away from a light "slowly", cruising along at almost idle, revving in neutral, and when slamming on the brakes hard...

Seems odd, seems mechanical, but it doesn't seem to be there immediately on an ECU reset. It can be in the middle of winter or on a hot day, the car doesn't care... Typically I see -2 to -4, sometimes I see -6, I think I've seen -12. it's always partial throttle.

I've followed the same posts over on Enginuity where people are having the same thing. I'm at wits end.... You would never know it's knocking if you didn't datalog...

I have attached two logs. You can see IAM is at .875. It's been that way for awhile, the car refuses to go above that, but also doesn't go lower unless it sees huge feedback knock.

Other specifics... doesn't use a drop of oil, I know the signs could point to possible engine damage, but it's been doing this for the 30k miles I've had the car and the occasional hot smell would be the only way you could tell something is not right...

Note: Change pdf extension to csv...

enginuitylog_20080620_201715.pdf

enginuitylog_20080620_202359.pdf

Both of those are tip-in knock and are not representative of your FLKC table.

In order for FLKC to become active, load has to be reasonably constant just prior to knock. That's why the ecu chose to reduce timing via FBKC instead of FLKC.

Why is your IAM not 1? When was the last time that you reset your ecu?

Post the csv from your learning viewer.

I suspect your problem is your AFR Learning.

Thanks Mickeyd... Always impressed with your knowledge... how do I pull the csv for the learning viewer? Do I just datalog AFR learning?

Wow, you have positive learned FLKC, never seen that before. Must be because your IAM isn't at 1. Fueling isn't too bad, a tad lean. Looks like you are encountering knock in the cruising tipin area. In for what Mickeyd thinks.

Sorry. I don't have much to add. There's not enough information.

The data posted is different than the original post.

There really isn't that much knocking showing in the data posted so far.

Really, you need to reset your ecu and log 100% of your driving and look for where FBKC, FLKC, and IAM change. It's tedious.

That much positive FLKC is relatively rare. Positive FLKC is only possible when IAM < 1. However, if FLKC starts becoming positive then usually IAM goes up and when IAM changes, the entire FLKC table is cleared. So, I normally don't see this many positive values. On 32 bit LGT, I usually don't see IAM drop on a good tune unless low octane gas is used.

It could be that whoever tuned this car didn't adjust the rough correction ranges or adjusted it incorrectly.

I had it tuned at Revolutions Performance down in the Springs... the car knocked the same as this bone stock.. I let Adam know about the partial throttle problems and I believe he adjusted the base timing... on the dyno that day it was good and the partial throttle stuff went away... It doesn't seem like IAM dropped, rather it never came up, he noted that when he was tuning it...

It seems after an ECU reset, it won't knock for a day or two, then it gets out of whack and starts doing this weird cruise knock...

Tomorrow night I'll reset my ECU and just drive around continuously logging until things change... I assume I can only check the FBKC and FLKC tables with the learning viewer vs IAM I can see real time?

I had it tuned at Revolutions Performance down in the Springs... the car knocked the same as this bone stock.. I let Adam know about the partial throttle problems and I believe he adjusted the base timing... on the dyno that day it was good and the partial throttle stuff went away... It doesn't seem like IAM dropped, rather it never came up, he noted that when he was tuning it...

It seems after an ECU reset, it won't knock for a day or two, then it gets out of whack and starts doing this weird cruise knock...

Tomorrow night I'll reset my ECU and just drive around continuously logging until things change... I assume I can only check the FBKC and FLKC tables with the learning viewer vs IAM I can see real time?

you can log both fbkc and flkc real time. i'd put them on the dashboard tab and watch for them to change...

You'll need to log it continuously. Log:

RPM

LOAD direct

MRP

FBKC

FLKC

IAM

total timing

AFR #1

CL/OL Status

Take a learning view BEFORE and AFTER every drive. You don't have to drive immediately. Just bring your computer every time you drive... say to work etc...

Archived