LegacyGT.com

Pad deposits, not warped rotors... repeat bed-in procedure

spacejunkiehsv

A couple of weeks ago, my car would vibrate when I was braking. It was bad, bad enough for a passenger to notice. I started researching the "problem." Then I ran across a thread that suggested that someone's warped rotors was simply pad deposits on the rotors.

It was suggested that that person do a new bedding in procedure, like when you bed-in pads after installing them. I did the Hawk HPS bed-in procedure again, and my shake went away completely.

I just wanted to share that info. There was nothing wrong with the brakes. Repeating the bed-in procedure completely fixed my problem.

Great! I have two questions though.

1) How many miles do you have on the current HPS pads?

2) Are they the stock rotors?

When I bought my HPS pads I was told the stock rotors are very soft and that I would probably need to replace the rotors after a few thousand miles.

Great! I have two questions though.

1) How many miles do you have on the current HPS pads?

2) Are they the stock rotors?

When I bought my HPS pads I was told the stock rotors are very soft and that I would probably need to replace the rotors after a few thousand miles.

1) I have maybe 5000 miles on the HPS pads.

2) The rotors are the stock rotors that came on the car from the factory, as far as I know. I bought the car used with 9000 miles on it, from a Subaru dealership.

A little more background information... I replaced my pads and had my rotors turned at the same time. I hand carried the loose rotors to have them turned, drove back home in my wife's car with the rotors, and installed them along with the HPS pads.

Everything was fine for a few weeks, then the pulsations appeared. I am pretty sure that I got deposits on the rotors at an offramp that has a stop sign at the end of it. Sometimes I take the offramp's curve pretty fast and have to brake hard when slowing from interstate speeds and brake again at the stop sign after the short "cloverleaf" turn. I'm fairly certain that (a) the hard braking combined with (b) immediately stopping to wait for a clearing in traffic was the cause.

i did not have such luck, i replaced my pads and got the rotors resurfaced. the wobble got better but not gone, did the bed in with no relief. i just tell my wife it's the street, ya definatly the street, not our 30 thousand dollar mobil bank account! she thinks we should move cause all the roads are so bad in this city!

A couple of weeks ago, my car would vibrate when I was braking. It was bad, bad enough for a passenger to notice. I started researching the "problem." Then I ran across a thread that suggested that someone's warped rotors was simply pad deposits on the rotors.

It was suggested that that person do a new bedding in procedure, like when you bed-in pads after installing them. I did the Hawk HPS bed-in procedure again, and my shake went away completely.

I just wanted to share that info. There was nothing wrong with the brakes. Repeating the bed-in procedure completely fixed my problem.

I have said this all along. I and most other true mechanics have never seen really warped rotors. Pad transfer is the issue and if you cannot grind ALL the transfer off the rotors, they will always wobble and get worse over time.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

^^^^THAT CAN"T BE RIGHT. EVERYONE knows that rotors get so hot that every single time you use the brakes they warp. Some people just have good cars that are made to warp the rotors in the opposite direction every other time you brake. Too bad Subaru doesn't use good brakes so ours always warp the same way :(
:spin:

^^^^THAT CAN"T BE RIGHT. EVERYONE knows that rotors get so hot that every single time you use the brakes they warp. Some people just have good cars that are made to warp the rotors in the opposite direction every other time you brake. Too bad Subaru doesn't use good brakes so ours always warp the same way :(

but it is

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Sorry, that was sarcasm in case you missed the part about rotors warping opposite ways....

I have posted what you said over and over, including links to the Stoptech White Papers that say the same thing, and everyone responds how their mechanic/fater/Subaru Tech told them it was warped and that pads couldn't do that.

It was refreshing to hear the same thing from someone else :D

:spin:

Sorry, that was sarcasm in case you missed the part about rotors warping opposite ways....

I have posted what you said over and over, including links to the Stoptech White Papers that say the same thing, and everyone responds how their mechanic/fater/Subaru Tech told them it was warped and that pads couldn't do that.

It was refreshing to hear the same thing from someone else :D

:wub::wub:

I just put new Hawk HPS pads on last week(200 miles ago). I had the rotors turned and then I installed the pads and took it to a brake shop and let them completely flush the brake fluid. Bleeding brakes is hard on my marrige if the wife helps, so $40 seemed cheaper than marrige counseling.

Anyway. Mine are smooth/fine at in-town/freeway/interstate and higher speeds, but I now have a slight grind/vibe coming from the pedal when slowing down to a stop. The vibe is right at about 15MPH on the way to a complete stop. My rear pads bedded great and the rotors are starting to even out nicely, but the front pads are still leaving some high and low spots on the rotor. I've taken everything off, inspected for debris and re-installed and re-bedded, but the vibe won't go away. Is this normal for these pads to grip pretty heavy and vibe a little at low speeds or will this go away with some more miles on them?

Let's kick this pig!

That's good to hear. I actually did the front and rear pads on different days of the same week, so I did the bedding process twice. The back pads have seated real nice and are polishing the rotors back to an even shine, but the fronts are taking their sweet time. I actually took the car in and had my allignment checked and had the tires re-balanced Friday. It helped with the pedal feel so I'm hoping that a few more miles will even out the pads and all will be back to normal. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the olny one.
Let's kick this pig!

• 4 weeks later...
Nice find... Stoptech had an article on this awhile back that I'd read and it's always held true... seems like the harder you drive your car and then have to stop at a light, the more pad deposit buildup you get... I've never bought in to "warped" rotors either...

Warped Rotors. LOL I love it. I overheated my HP+'s something fierce once at MSR Cresson - they left SO much on the rotors I have to take them off the car and sand the stuff off. LOL Must have had been the warped rotors causing the viberations. HAHAHAHA

Archived