LegacyGT.com

Aside from buying a GT, What are some good performance options for 07 2.5i legacy?

Too funny...you must have gotten that answer a lot...

Yep, that is the answer that I got so I was forced to rephrase the question. So for I found a good option for a intake, some headers and exhaust options here or there. I tried to play with the exhaust and headers on my last car but I didn't really like the outcome. Performance was nice but just the load noise was what really got to me. I still believe that adding something like a trubo or a supercharger kit to a 2.5i could turn out pretty nice and would still be relatively affordable when you compare it to the price of a GT. But maybe I am wrong on that.

being that i am an N/A owner myself and have asked the same questions that you are doing right now, i can understand where you are coming from. but lets be realistic. The money that you are about to sink into your I which will be about 3K to 3.5K you could have put that towards the purchase of a GT.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60648

But at any rate here is the link for the turbo.

Pretty much everything on our cars people has made or has made work. Certain items can be used. Like some suspension mods. But you will find out that even with a turbo kit you are limited to the amount of boost that you will be able to run. 5-6 PSI max.

just search the forum though. There has been alot and i mean alot of people that has been in your situation. And alot of people are asking the same questions that has already been answered. Under the N/A section i searched the word performance and came up with pages of stuff people are playing around with or has already tried.

http://legacygt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2739173

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

If you and I assume that the horsepower on the engine itself actually is 175 hp stock...what does 5-6 psi add in hp numbers? Because I did see someone else mention 5 psi on another thread so you are correct

your not going to get what your looking for. maybe 40-50 awhp.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-49187380673845_1948_2718073

OTM.

I think that is pretty good. If we shave off some here or there due to loss going from engine to the wheels maybe the real hp could be somewhere close to 190 to 200. I would like something like that. Now the only real question is whether or not those 40-50hp are worth 3.5k to you

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60648

under the N/a forum.

and what exactly are you talking about when you say shaving off? Keep in mind this is the only thing your going to be able to do. After this the only thing your left with is a complete tear down of the motor and putting new cams/ heads blah blah blah.

Now dont get me wrong when i say this. But 6 PSI can go a long way. ON CERTAIN CARS!!. Like upgraded motors. but not ours. our internals are not going to be able to handle it. if you go under the vendor section you can find alot of aftermarket dealers that you can choose from. But your options are limited when it comes to the I. I have found out along with alot of others that pretty much the only things your going to be able to do with your car is this.

Intake = injen has been made to fit ours according to some of the N/A guys here.

Headers= depends on what motor you have. PVEZ or no PVEZ.

CBE ( cat back exhaust )

Pulley= alot to choose from here.

Those are pretty much it man. And all that put together your talking maybe and this is a stretch maybe 15-20 HP. Not a whole lot. because your talking prob about over 1K+ just right here. pulley being about 100, Headers being about 700. CAI being about 200-250. CBE depends. you can make your own or buy one. If you buy one your looking at about 500-900. you will hit a wall and you will hit it hard and you will hit it fast. but remember there is alot of information on what i just said. Just search the N/A forum. You will be better off searching under there and reading anything and everything you can. Only then when you cant find anything should you post up. But i hope this helps.

OTM.

Assume that the 2.5i makes 130AWHP or so with the 5spd manual trans. If you get a turbo, you will end up wiht about 180ish AWHP. Thats after the cost fo the kit plus install. Now unless you piece a kit together with used gt/wrx parts and you installit all yourself, expect to end up paying over 5K for all this to happen. Thats not including the tunning and repars if somthing goes wrong since you wont get any warrantee service after you put that turbo on. Remember, no one has turboed the revised 07 2.5I motors yet, so you will be in uncharted waters. And im not sure this will even work on the PZEV motors. And if you dont have the 5spd manual, but the 4 speed auto, you may run in to even more problems.

bottom line is, unless you are a mechanic and will do all the work and win all the parts yourself, the cost of everything+ the cost of your car will come out to more than what a NEW LGT costs, which means its not worth it.

intake and exhaust wont get you much. and doing things like cams and top end engine work will cost as much as a turbo. So if you are made of money, then do all this, but you arent or you would have gotten a GT in the first place.

Sorry but you are SOL.

swap your engine to a JDM WRX engine. im planning on doing a 2.2L swap to my 2.5i.

the best performance option you can do.

also lighten up dude, use the search tab before you get all crazy on everyone when they respond to your topics (specially with the GT Comments)

^you gonna do the work yourself?

BBTW your gonna need new axles, rear diff drive shaft and all other supporting hardware including wiring to make that trans work. even with connections, it will still be more expensinve than LGT, and add $1000 on the lgt price for stage 2 and its no longer more powerful thant the lgt either.

OK, so Ihave heard some of you mention the search function... can anyone tell me a little more about it? How much AWHP are we talking here by using this 'search function'??? Even with a conservative tune I'm looking to net as much power as I can for what I have left over from A $5 bill after I buy a Big Mac...

:)

not when you got connections for a 2.2L long block, 6Spd STi Tranny, your pretty much set at having more HP and TQ than a GT and almost the same price. also my insurance will be cheeeeapaaah!!! but i wont be under warranty! wOMP WOMP!

Good Luck with your swap, JDM stuff is cheap and readily available! If something goes wrong, I'm sure your buddy can just send you another front clip. Or better yet, he can just fill up a container from Japan with all the individual pieces that are going to evantually fail anyway.

....But on the bright side...@ least your insurance will be teh CheeeeeepeRRRR! Womp! womp!

most of it im gona be doing, but uhm i did read up on needing new axles and rear diff drive shaft. theres really more in doing a swap than just the engine when going from a N/A to TURBO and from a 4EAT to an STi tranny, but i hoping to swoop up on a local junkyard to find all the components and parts that i need.

but then again if the AVO turbo comes out and works perfectly, then i might just get that and buy an 03 BUgeye

If modifying your car is fun to you, swap the shortblock and headgaskets with an sti and throw on an AVO turbokit. Dyno tune it and come back with your results. don't forget a new beefier clutch, too.

Sure $10 grand is a lot of money, but the fun you have in the countless months of trial and error is priceless...;)

Archived