LegacyGT.com

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R LLBean Edition

axis008

Interesting.

Bigger 4-sided grille, not 6-sided (no kink in the sides of the grille. Tacky strip on the hood.

JDM -D side mirrors with smaller signals.

Black plastic on more of the front bumper, and a smaller lower intake.

Bumper does not look all that much shorter than 05-07 USDM... But that could be an "outback" thing.

No parking lights in the headlights, but DRLs are moved to a low-power setting, or separate bulb in the high beam reflector, not the low beam projector.

The upper line of the headlights doesnt' quite jive... Nothing bad, but the break line doesn't seem to flow seamlessly into the body line. maybe it is the same as JDM Legacys and Outbacks, but it seems like the upper line of the headlight housing, all the way to the upper outboard corner, was straight with the fender line all the way to the back of the car.

Otherwise, it doesn't seem to be much of a change.... but we haven't seen the inside or the back.

Subaru link for downloading press release document is HERE

IWSS, you didn't see the rearend!! It''s old, i.e. like current Outback, except parts of the tailamps are cleared.

FrankenOutback:

http://i1.tinypic.com/2gv31gm.jpg

Interior isn't updated, apart from the steering column, and wheel, either. Not the full Rev-D update, evidently...

Clear signals are better than amber... I am sure that some Legacy wagon owner will put those on, and maybe tint the clear part to smoke...

LED would have been nice.

Interior isn't updated, apart from the steering column, and wheel, either. Not the full Rev-D update, evidently...

What do you mean? I guess the shifter area isn't like the JDM counterparts, but above the glovebox and stuff they streamlined the mouldings like the JDM models (which I like a lot).

-ben

extending the trim is not that big of a deal to me... but it doesn't get the new console face, or shifter trim...

Mixed feelings. Liked the matte black console, and the round shifter trim, but didn't like the un-covered cup-holders on the JDM Rev. D.

All in all, doesn't affect me at all. IF they come out with CF-look trims for the new wide dash trim, maybe I'll seek out some console side panels, and a glove box for it...

Pretty minor change, aside from the steering column, though. Looks like someone made a change just for the sake of something to change.

I guess I'm opposite. I'm glad they extended the trim hahah. I didn't like the round shifter trim (in automatics especially) because the plastic they used look really cheap.

Would also love if they used CF for the spec.B or something..

-ben

Hmm.. the front end kinda looks like something Hyunday would design...

I agree

http://www.autogaleria.pl/fotografie/hyundai/hyundai_santa_fe_2005_01.jpg

http://i13.tinypic.com/311vr4g.jpg

The JDM Chryslerlike grille looks so much better...

http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/outback/imgs/top.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The grille doesn't look so bad... if it didn't have that dorky trim piece on the hood. If the hood was just solid to the line, it would not look too bad at all. Maybe Black-out the "wings"...

The thing is, the hood line isn't the same... otherwise, I might think the JDM grille might fit. The USDM 08 OB hood is shaped differently between the headlights and grille, and doesn't meet the bumper cover at the same place... The Legacy, and JDM OB, the cut line is half way up the headlight height. USDM 08 OB is across the top of the headlight housing line.

And is it just me, or does the USDM headlight line look different than JDM...

The top of the JDM headlight looks sleek and straight. The USDM headlight line looks 99% the same, but strangely looks like it "droops" a bit before it meets the fender character line... and kind of messes up the flow.

i think the new changes look great on the JDM car.

they didn't go overboard with the design but gave enough style to "break it up"

they should put that grill on the USDM cars.

after all be glad they didn't use the tribeca front end.

You just can't merge sleek and Japanese styling. Pick one or the other.

Hmmm. I think 05+ Legacy wagon is sleek, especially with JDM bumpers.

OTOH, many crtizie it's bland and too Japanese... :icon_conf

Who designs these things? Does Subaru even have a design department or is it the bean counters or secretaries on the third floor sketching stuff on napkins?

SOA does hack jobs in a driveway in Cherry Hill. Just look at the 2008 Outback.

I do think that the USDM 2005 cars look a little bland, especially with the silver headlamps. With the JDM bumpers, they look good. I think I will order myself some JDM bumpers for my Outback in a couple of years.

2005 (and only 2005) have the black headlamps.

Styling and details wise (black lamps, momo wheel, Legacy logo on the tach) 2005 is the best year for Legacy....

What is SOA thinking??? Mercedes went though this mistake a few years ago, i.e., make a vanilla tasting car to hopefully attract a broader demographic. Now they've corrected their mistake and making Mercs again with more hutzbah (sp?). When will auto makers learn that god (or the devil, depending on how you look at it) is in the details!!! Distinction is what makes the brand. Make everything a vanilla shake and everybody starts going to the soda counters (I'm on 37 and I can still use that reference) that sells chocolate phosphates. Subaru had a great style advantage with their face life in '05. Now they seem to be settling in to some comfort zone in which people will get sick of this vanilla styling and yearn for the more distictive flavour that has been offered before. Sure, everybody has money to buy cars, but to style and market cars to a homoginized patronage will take any panache out of the marque and lead to flaggin sales. Then where will we be? :spin:

Archived