LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD shocks for LGT

FPerron

I just got an e-mail from Kevin Foote at Turner Motorsports informing me that Bilstein has just released a heavy duty shock that's made to work with the Legacy GT stock springs. You can check them out at:

www.allshocks.com

I just got coliovers for the track, so they're not exactly my cup of tea. Might be just the thing for improved street performance, though.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Wonder how they will compare to JDM GT or JDM SpecB OEM dampers. I read Bilstein HDs are on the soft side.

Also if they are designed for stock springs that implies stock GT top hats.... and kinda limits choice of springs.

Interesting. Wonder how they will compare to JDM GT or JDM SpecB OEM dampers. I read Bilstein HDs are on the soft side.

Also if they are designed for stock springs that implies stock GT top hats.... and kinda limits choice of springs.

The site says HD's are good for most applications, designed to work with stock springs. Meh.

Probably better than stock but doesn't sound like what most people here are after.

I've fitted the following dampers to my Australian-spec (read: JDM top-hat) MY04 Liberty:

BILSTEIN - B6 SPORT (model number 006710)

Left front: VE3-B830

Right front: VE3-B831

Rear: BE5-B832

The website above lists the following part numbers for a Legacy:

Left front: VE3-B830-H0

Right front: VE3-B831-H0

Rear: BE5-B832-H0

Buggered if I know what the "-H0" suffix means. I seriously doubt it means:

1. Front damper compatible with USDM top-hat
  2. Revalved for OEM spring rate

I could be wrong...why doesn't someone ask these questions?

I've fitted the following dampers to my Australian-spec (read: JDM top-hat) MY04 Liberty:

BILSTEIN - B6 SPORT (model number 006710)

Left front: VE3-B830

Right front: VE3-B831

Rear: BE5-B832

The website above lists the following part numbers for a Legacy:

Left front: VE3-B830-H0

Right front: VE3-B831-H0

Rear: BE5-B832-H0

Buggered if I know what the "-H0" suffix means. I seriously doubt it means:

1. Front damper compatible with USDM top-hat
  2. Revalved for OEM spring rate

I could be wrong...why doesn't someone ask these questions?

GOOD INFO! how do you like them compared to OEM? were they stiffer? a short review would be nice :icon_mrgr

btw i might pick these up when my car reaches 60k miles....

They are a gazillion times stiffer than stock - my car was delivered from the factory with pre-worn OEM rubbish that I was totally sick & tired of by 30,000km.

Unfortunately, I can't make a direct OEM spring w/ Bilstein statement 'cause I fitted Whiteline Control springs at the same time.

However, our little band of Liberty owners down-under has always thought OEM springs w/ Bilstein shocks would be a terrific combination.

Do it!

Nah. What we call "JDM top hats" means really "Bilstein OEM top hats". If your car didn't come OEM with Bilsteins (and it did not because it's 2.5i) you had KYB with the same top hats stock USDM GT has.

That would confirm these fit "USDM top hats" (aka "KYB crapola top hats").

Absolutely not true.

The top-hats in my car are JDM-specific & fit both the OEM JDM Tokico shocks & Bilstein shocks. I do not have USDM top-hats in my car - I've seen what your top-hats look like & mine are nothing like them.

The Bilstein shocks are designed for the Japanese market & fit the JDM top-hats.

:orly: Hmmm, one learns something new every day. Can you post pic of the top hats in your car?

EDIT: wait a second, I assumed you reused YOUR STOCK top hats, no?

Oops - KYBs. Wish it came with Tokicos! :lol:

But did you reuse the KYB top hats for the Bilsteins, or you got Bilstein specific "JDM" ones? :icon_arro

I used what came with my car - the ones that fitted the KYB struts.

This thread discusses the differences:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3138&highlight=bilstein+top+hat

There's pictures too - the JDM top-hats are flat, the USDM ones are all bulgey & stupid-looking :icon_bigg

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1757&d=1095873327

European catalog

http://www2.bilstein.de/downloads/Bilstein_Programm_05-GB.pdf

North American Catalog:

http://www.bilstein.com/303passengercars.pdf

Per the European version:

"B6 Sports

The shock absorber for those drivers who prefer a sports suspension but are not particularly interested in lowering the body. Also available in special design complete with reservoir for off-road vehicles.

No risk, more fun

For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it. The theme of the discussion here is the sports suspension. The BILSTEIN B6 Sports shock absorber is the ideal solution for drivers revelling in the understatement . The wolf in sheep's clothing snarls, when necessary, but otherwise goes reliably about its work in daily traffic with no lowering of the body whatsoever.

Optimum road holding, enhanced tracking stabilisation and excellent damping force: the BILSTEIN B6 Sports is not only first choice as far as sports tuning is concerned but also in the sphere of safety."

"B8 Sprint

The shortened, high-performance shock absorber for lowered sports cars.

Try hard

Lower doesn't automatically mean better. Not the appearance of the car determines its quality but the optimal tuning of suspension, springs and shock absorbers. With this in mind BILSTEIN has specially developed the B8 Sprint for cars with lowered bodies.

The shortened version represents the ideal pendant to suspension optimisation for nearly all sets of springs. Fast track changing at high speed, gobbling up uneven road surfaces, ironing out cross washboard surfaces ...The BILSTEIN B8 Sprint not only let's you look good but, above all, it gives you an excellent ride."

Part numbers for the Legacy IV 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 models per the European version of the catalog:

B6:

VE3-B830 left front

VE3-B831 right front

BE5-B832 rear either side

B8:

VE3-B830 left front

VE3-B831 right front

It looks like the European models cross reference to our US spec models as follows:

B6 = HD (heavy duty - designed with more aggresive valving designed for stock spring height)

B8=SP (sport - designed for lowered ride height with more aggresive valving)

Why does the European version list these as all the same part #'s not only for the B6/B8, but also for the different engines (2.0, 2.5 and 3.0)?

Per the European version:

SNIP

"B8 Sprint

The shortened, high-performance shock absorber for lowered sports cars.

Try hard

Lower doesn't automatically mean better. Not the appearance of the car determines its quality but the optimal tuning of suspension, springs and shock absorbers. With this in mind BILSTEIN has specially developed the B8 Sprint for cars with lowered bodies.

The shortened version represents the ideal pendant to suspension optimisation for nearly all sets of springs. Fast track changing at high speed, gobbling up uneven road surfaces, ironing out cross washboard surfaces ...The BILSTEIN B8 Sprint not only let's you look good but, above all, it gives you an excellent ride."

B8:

VE3-B830 left front

VE3-B831 right front

Excellent ride my a.se, may be if you are coming from a track car. I have the B8 sprint in my GT and you need to prepare for harsh ride with Pink springs for street use.

Excellent ride my a.se, may be if you are coming from a track car. I have the B8 sprint in my GT and you need to prepare for harsh ride with Pink springs for street use.

So is there any difference between the B6 and B8 and why is Bilstein quoting the exact same part numbers for the two? It looks like those in OZ, Russia and Europe have quite the options for Bilstein replacement struts.

my car is lower with Tein H-Tech's appox. 1" i want good controlled ride not a track car. the standard ones sound best for me, thoughts? bosco

B6 Sport for you.

The main difference between B6 Sport & B8 Sprint is the shortened shock shaft on the B8.

I would assume the B8 Sprint is also valved more firmly to resist an increased tendency to bottom out (shorter suspension travel).

Archived