LegacyGT.com

SI Drive Worth It???

TarDawg

Ok. So there is an 06 manual with only 3k miles on it. They are asking 24k for it. I'm sure i can negotiate down from there. To me that's saving roughly 6-8 k by not going SI-Drive.

You should be able to get an 07 for around 27 or lower. IMO it's worth it. SI drive really does help in brutal traffic conditions, but that shouldn't be the only reason. The fold down rear seats got me to write a check and the SRS Wow was a bonus.

My bro just got an IS 250 and no fold down seats! :lol: Only a pass through with a smaller trunk and less rear seat room for almost 5k more than what I paid, for less car IMO.

It's hard for me to compare the SI-Drive in my '07 spec.B with an '06, since I don't have one handy to test it against. However, I believe that in sport-sharp mode the drive-by-wire throttle gives you a greater than 1:1 pedal-to-throttle ratio, which is something the '06 with its mechanical throttle can't do. Pedal response definitely feels quicker in S#.

I hope Cobb will be able to take advantage of SI-Drive to load up several custom maps, but that remains to be seen...

...which is something the '06 with its mechanical throttle can't do...

All legacy GT's have an electronic throttle

To the OP: If you're looking at getting an 07 just because of the SI Drive, just get the 06. While it makes a slight difference in the driving of the car, an AP will make up for it. The throttle response in my 07 in sport sharp is the same as my 05 GT was with a stage 1 flash.

All legacy GT's have an electronic throttle

To the OP: If you're looking at getting an 07 just because of the SI Drive, just get the 06. While it makes a slight difference in the driving of the car, an AP will make up for it. The throttle response in my 07 in sport sharp is the same as my 05 GT was with a stage 1 flash.

Stage 1 would definitely be faster though.

However, I believe that in sport-sharp mode the drive-by-wire throttle gives you a greater than 1:1 pedal-to-throttle ratio, which is something the '06 with its mechanical throttle can't do. Pedal response definitely feels quicker in S#.

What does "greater than 1:1 pedal-to-throttle" really mean? When you floor it, does the throttle open more than 100%? :D

The 05 and 06 models both have drive-by-wire throttles, so I suspect that whatever you're talking about can be achieved by tweaking the throttle mapping in the ECU with an AccessPort or with an $80 cable and free software.

Someone here wrote that SI-Drive's economy mode only lets the throttle open halfway, but that's something you can do manually (or should I say pedally) with any car, drive-by-wire or not, for no additional charge.

So, I lean towards "not worth it."

Personally, I test drove an 06 for about a week (good friends with a mech.) and then bought an 07. Honestly I really like the SI drive system. Leaving the car in intelligent mode still gives you ample boost power and decent horsepower while saving a bit on gas if you're not a leadfoot. And being able to show your friends that you can alter the ECU setup on the fly and engaging the Sport# mode and going from 60-110 in a couple seconds is rather impressive even to the wrx boys... It may just be a novelty, but I say go for the 07, besides, you get the aux in...

I love it but I have never driven another Legacy before. See my thread about my thoughts on my 07 LGT after 1000 miles in the "legacy" section. I was going to buy a used LGT becuase but got a great deal on my 07 and a much better interest rate. Buying new w/ no miles and no one every beating on the car was a nice feeling to, since I have always bought used sports cars and have learned the hard way. My last car needed a transmission shortly after I bought it. A used LGT would still be under warranty though and I think the warranty is the most important thing.

-David

SI is great. I let the car warm up in I mode, then use S mode to get to the onrap, and S# mode to merge into traffic. After I'm in the fast lane doing 120, I throw it into I mode for the rest of my commute. Ispool4u hit it right on the head. I can tell that David will spread much wisdom throughout the forum. An 06 equals higher interest rates and a car that someone else redlined over and over. An 07 is more expensive and will depreciate quicker, but will have lower interst rates and no one has had a chance to screw the car up. Either route you're getting a KICK ASS CAR!!!

SI is great. I let the car warm up in I mode, then use S mode to get to the onrap, and S# mode to merge into traffic. After I'm in the fast lane doing 120, I throw it into I mode for the rest of my commute.

I-mode to warm up the engine and then S# for the onramp! Start off each day with a little boost and a smile. I now seek out good onramps and now think of toll boths as pay a couple of bucks for a solid 0-100 run. :icon_mrgr

I-mode to warm up the engine and then S# for the onramp! Start off each day with a little boost and a smile. I now seek out good onramps and now think of toll boths as pay a couple of bucks for a solid 0-100 run. :icon_mrgr

Puts a smile on my face everytime.:icon_bigg

PLEASE negotiate that price down. I just picked up my car at my Subaru dealer 2 weeks ago. My 06 LGT was leftover and never sold. It had 200 miles on it, and I paid $23,200 for it.

Also, I asked the salesman if the Si Drive was worth purchasing an 07. Keep in mind, he would be making much more comission off of an 07 sale to me. He said "honestly, you'll use it a few times because it's neat when the car's new. It's just a sales tactic to make the car more "sporty"." <---That's exactly what he told me, so I bought the '06.

Ok. So there is an 06 manual with only 3k miles on it. They are asking 24k for it. I'm sure i can negotiate down from there. To me that's saving roughly 6-8 k by not going SI-Drive.

I think i'll go for the 06.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

However, I believe that in sport-sharp mode the drive-by-wire throttle gives you a greater than 1:1 pedal-to-throttle ratio, which is something the '06 with its mechanical throttle can't do. Pedal response definitely feels quicker in S#.

do you know how slow/laggy the car would feel with a 1:1 pedal/throtte input(which would be closer to on the knob)....:lol:

your at 46% throttle putting 15% on the pedal....

SI-drive just changes the gas pedal inputs...

A USED '06 for $24K vs a New '07 for $27K?

PFFFT.

Get the '07. Better stereo, fold down seats (I curse not having these on a regular basis). SI drive is a bonus but shouldnt be a huge reason to buy over an '06. Look at the other perks you get. ]

THats way high for a used '06. I bought my brand new '05 a year ago for just a few hundred more than $24K. Get the '07 if thats your deal.

Go Cardinals!

One other point is that if you share the car with a spouse like I do, this comes in handy. She drive in I all the time while I drive in sport. I like the throttle feel of sport and she doesn't. Is it worth a whole lot, maybe not but nice. I have an OBXT and went for an 07 over 06 due to: SI drive, VDC, AUX input and better est. mpg.

Archived