LegacyGT.com

Double Din Imports

Alex1

Aright, so it IS possible to import a double din unit, so with this unit, does the stock stereo and climate control fit in? and then somhow that seperates them? so u can take the stereo out? and put an after market in? im confused about this....

it's a little bit harder than you think.. otherwise I would have personally done it.. I assume you are talking about the JDM bezel and you want the double din opening to put your own headunit in there. The JDM double din unit is "reversed" for us, so it's possible that the wiring harnesses and such will need to be respliced to be lengthened and so forth for it to work. The HVAC controls are integrated into that bezel. So they might have a different set of harnesses to plug in to make it work.. I assume that portion is the same for JDM and USA since JDM has two bezel faces and I dont see the point of rearranging the harnesses from one bezel with an integrated radio to the double din unit. [url]www.kingofimports.com[/url] can get you that JDM double din bezel if you want and try it out yourself.. I personally have doubts of it fitting it cuz the bezel is made for RHD design, not LHD like we have it.. meaning the bezel is molded to face the right, not the left as we need it in the USDM cars. Keefe
Keefe

i think the bezel is symmetrical. Moreover, if any1 out there has access to a C&C machine, i think it wouldn't be too too hard to cut a piece that would fit in that area that can accept a 7" touchscreen monitor. I think the front piece is realtively flat, and with a brushed aluminum, it would match the color of the center counsole(radio). Just a thought. EDIT: ahhh, i'm thinking about the center unit w/ the little compartment...

[quote name='Legacy05GT']i think the bezel is symmetrical. Moreover, if any1 out there has access to a C&C machine, i think it wouldn't be too too hard to cut a piece that would fit in that area that can accept a 7" touchscreen monitor. I think the front piece is realtively flat, and with a brushed aluminum, it would match the color of the center counsole(radio). Just a thought. EDIT: ahhh, i'm thinking about the center unit w/ the little compartment...[/QUOTE] 7" LCD is too big for that little compartment.. you can do a 5" LCD.. I already asked MattJK ( see [url]www.ebay.com[/url] for "WRX LCD" ) which he said it was too hard to do for that compartment for him to install one. I am looking at other alternatives for an LCD screen so I can finally install all my electronic gauges. I guess I will have to rice up the car and install 7" LCD in the driver side visor. I thought the JDM also comes with dual climate control setup. Keefe
Keefe

ugh this is so unfair by subaru wtf are they trying to do? screw us? i say we all pitch in and have someone try it cuz we need to know! -Alex i want a kenwood pop out touch screen navi dvd head unit, how can i make this work lol

I am sure I can do it myself to redo all the wiring.. just tedious amounts of work just for a headunit.. I am not much of an ICE kind of guy.. it's kinda costly to pay about $240 for the JDM bezel with HVAC controls just so I can have a double din opening.. that also means I need to spend another $1200 for my Kenwood DVD double din headunit that I really dont feel like spending on when I get brake stuff. Give me enough time and I might try it.. Give enough time for Subaru and they might just go and make one for USDM for 2006. Keefe
Keefe

I work at a car audio shop....I know some people wouldnt go for this but.........If somehow someone can build a mount behind the ac that houses the electircal board, you can extend the wires and cut the ac section from the radio and then place that in the glovebox. Then you would have a hugh hole in your dash. You can make a plate (maybe carbon fiber, maybe aluminum) that will house the radio and the hazard light switch. Then your AC would be in the glovebox. Why did subaru have to put the damn controls near the radio? If this wouldnt work then i guess i would have to buy the jdm unit and lose dual zone climate control. Does anyone know if the jdm ac will work with a usdm lgt?

eveyones problem seems to be with the fact that the JDM radio/HVAC only works with the single climate zone and they have the dual climate zone. I was wonderin, my car doesn;t have the dual climate zone, only the standard climate control, would the JDM 2-din work in my car? On the KingOfImports site, the climate control looks more complicated then even in my car, despite not being dual zone.

[quote name='Xenonk']I am sure I can do it myself to redo all the wiring.. just tedious amounts of work just for a headunit.. I am not much of an ICE kind of guy.. it's kinda costly to pay about $240 for the JDM bezel with HVAC controls just so I can have a double din opening.. that also means I need to spend another $1200 for my Kenwood DVD double din headunit that I really dont feel like spending on when I get brake stuff. Give me enough time and I might try it.. Give enough time for Subaru and they might just go and make one for USDM for 2006. Keefe[/QUOTE] PM me if you are keen in the JDM double din bezel. I have a couple of sets for sale. Can send you a close up shot of the bezel. But here's one from King of Import website. Do note it's ONLY the lower portion with the red hazard light button. [url]http://www.kingofimports.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=158#details[/url]

• 2 years later...

I'm pretty sure GFXDave has tried this and that it didnt work. Bezel is NOT Symmetrical, and the wiring is not compatible between a US dual zone climate and the JDM single zone. Again, I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I've seen that GFXDave tried this somewhere...

Edit: Yep, I was right. Check this out:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45963&highlight=Din

Go Cardinals!

Archived