LegacyGT.com

lowered legacies and crosswind.

ebpda9

i was wondering if those that lowered or changed the suspension on the legacy still experience the crosswinds as bad as they did before lowering it. i am trying to decide if i should lower it or not. most likely the car will be driven only in the winter time and when there is a lot of puddles and it rains during the summer. any comments will be appreciated

I was driving at freeway speeds (72-75 mph) this weekend out in the high desert with steady 40 mph crosswinds and a Yakima Pro 16 Cargo Box on top. The car is completely stock, suspension-wise, with the exception of the JDM 20MM RSB. The only issue I had with wind was when I went to pass the semi tractor-trailer rigs and hit the turbulence coming off the leading edge of the tractor. But, even then, the car was really stable (just shuddered) and didn't sway or skitter sideways at all. Just tracked straight and true.

Are you running stock tires and what tire pressure are you using? I found that my car wagged a good deal, even in calm air because the alignment was off. Once this was corrected, everything was good again. I would notice a change if the TPs dropped in one wheel or another and then the car would sway some. But once aired back up, the swaying would stop. I run 38F/36R normally in Michelin PS AS tires and ran the same in my RE92As.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

compared to when my WRX was stock, the LGT is much more stable in crosswind situations.

after i did the suspension though, my WRX rode like a go cart (good and bad) super stable, super flat, and super bouncy. i'd like to find a bit more of a happy medium on the LGT

dR

Before fitting my Whiteline Control/Bilstein combination my 2.5i wandered about like a drunk. Alignment was fine...the main issue was the crap underdampened shocks - particularly the rear. The car is super-stable at speed now - totally different experience & much more relaxed.

I was driving at freeway speeds (72-75 mph) this weekend out in the high desert with steady 40 mph crosswinds and a Yakima Pro 16 Cargo Box on top. The car is completely stock, suspension-wise, with the exception of the JDM 20MM RSB. The only issue I had with wind was when I went to pass the semi tractor-trailer rigs and hit the turbulence coming off the leading edge of the tractor. But, even then, the car was really stable (just shuddered) and didn't sway or skitter sideways at all. Just tracked straight and true.

Are you running stock tires and what tire pressure are you using? I found that my car wagged a good deal, even in calm air because the alignment was off. Once this was corrected, everything was good again. I would notice a change if the TPs dropped in one wheel or another and then the car would sway some. But once aired back up, the swaying would stop. I run 38F/36R normally in Michelin PS AS tires and ran the same in my RE92As.

SBT

I run some 215/55/16" goodyear ultra grip ice with 34f/32r. if i go any more than that the car acts like it is on ice. I need to take the car in for an alignament, because the pothole heaven around my area. the car has 17500 miles on it and it was never aligned.

and whoever mentioned the underdampened shocks i think you are right, i was thinking the same thing. now it all goes to which suspension setup i should go for. i don't want to spend more than 1000 on a suspension setup that's only going to be used in bad weather and in the winter time.

update:

i had the car aligned yesterday

before specs:

Front

Camber: L:-0.23 R:-0.62

Cross Camber: 0.39

Caster: L:6.31 R: 5.96

Crosscaster: 0.35

Toe L:0.07 R:0.04

Total Toe: 0.12

Rear

Camber: L: -0.34 R:-0.58

Cross Camber: 0.24

Toe: L:0.01 R:0.09

total Toe: 0.09

Thrust angle: -0.4

After

Front

Camber L:-0.17 R:-0.58 with a note that the camber adjustament is maxed out

Cross Camber: 0.41

Caster: L:6.31 R: 5.96

Cross Caster: 0.35

Toe: L: -0.1 R:-0.1

Total Toe: -0.02

Rear:

Camber: L: -0.31 R -0.57

Cross camber: 0.26

Toe: L: 0.02 R: 0.01

Total Toe: 0.03

Thrust angle: 0.01

the car definitely is behaving a lot better, but i still get one dead spot on the steering wheel when i move it offcenter to the right. I gotta start looking for bent parts. i hope it is just a bent strut like it happened before on the integra. it seems like it is the cheapest way to fix it.

I paid extra to have the ground clearance...

I am waiting for struts and firmer springs that retain the ride height but improve handling... seems like every aftermarket company likes the lowered look tho :(

it's not just the look. lower center of gravity = better steering response, turn in, and less body roll.

dR

Archived