LegacyGT.com

modified bezel

brdaaw

before everyone yells at me about destroying the original bezel, let me preface these comments by saying that i was in a car accident when the volume nob broke off...as well as a bunch of rear body damage. they guys insurance covered everything and instead of getting the stereo replaced i got a check for $480.00. so if figured f' it. ill dremel out a hole for the stereo, pop out all the stereo controls, bondo them shut, and call it a day. here are some pics...i havent bondo'd anything yet but i figured id post my progress. plus ill be more motivated to expidite the project so as to not get too much sh** on the forum.

update: been done for a while now but havent gotten the pic up till just now. i guess by now this is no big deal.

pic1.jpg.bc7e0a82e85cfeb3a507d26a2ec475f0.jpg

pic2.jpg.880e623eecac9765d7e7b428d554d563.jpg

car.jpg.2dae976e16347f001c453e4179f446d9.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Metra dash kit for our cars its 59$, 99-8901</B>

www.installer.com or http://www.12volt-parts.com/dashkit.html

yeah, but with shipping thats like 75 bucks. the part i have is essentially free and i get to show it off to my friends as somethign i did custom. plus its fun...im also planning a custom ipod mount (via bondo). oh, and that part doesnt ship for like 2 months.

The real question is how well the finish on the Metra kit matches the dash.

yea, i think in order for a replacement bezel to look good it would have to be silver or you would have to match the part around the shifter to the same black as the bezel...thats just my opinion. i plan on painting the shifter/ashtray whatever color i decide to do my bezel. probably flat black with a clear coat finish.

I just looked on Metra's website, http://www.metraonline.com/latest.php?id=1, and it looks like part 99-8901 is painted silver. I guess I won't have to paint the trim around my shifter after all. I was kinda hoping to paint it black since I have a bunch of scratches around the shifter anyway.

I plan to do the same with my Metra 99-8901 which shipped yesterday.

it looks interesting....you should cut out all of the shit except the a/c controls and put a huge ass screen in there....slimline ps2 in the glove box top...and then a backup camera in the center of the license plate and remove your rearview mirror

now theres a project....get err done

heres a wrx that has a cool big screen put where all the stock stuff was

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Udonboy/WRX%20CarPC/307892f4.jpg

yeah, i want to put a screen in but dont have the cash for the proper system. i wanna do it right. i also kind of think the screen looks better in the cubby than in the stereo bezel. only problem wiht that is moving the info display. i wanted to make a custom ipod mount where people have been moving the display to...so, i dont know what to do. for now im just gonna stick wiht a nice alpine replacement.

I received my Metra kit in the mail today and installed it tonight in about 2 hours. It was a pain to do it in the dark, let me tell ya. I have the Alpine iPod interface with the cable running into the glovebox. I can't seem to get rid of that gap on the right side between the Metra kit and the trim around the shifter. It keeps slipping down.

http://www.bryanbrazil.com/substereo.jpg

I got my dash kit today still waiting on the wire harness, went to bestbuy not expecting to buy a new hu low and behold i found a jvc kd-dv5100 on sale from 229.00 down to 199.00 and i got the last one( way cheaper than circut city and other all selling it for $300) and it came with free installation.

The Metra piece looks a little darker than the trim around the shifter -- it's exactly the same color as the HVAC controls though.

So just wondering but how well does the metra kit match? From your pic it looks pretty decent but the lighting makes it hard to really tell.

And LegacyMUN2k6, good decision to NOT get the ebay HU.

Archived