LegacyGT.com

Trunk unlocks with doors now

Boulderguy

Yet another reason to crawl under the dash with wirecutters...

Finally found the wire that controls the trunk lock relay, have wired it to the driver's door lock/unlock relay along with the passenger doors' unlock relays as well. Now the whole car unlocks with one button push (or one squat in your tight pants, Hasslehoff).

EDIT - This mod is for the OB/Leg. wagon, not a sedan. This DOES NOT "open" the hatch, it merely unlocks it. If you're anything like me, your trunk is always locked at the most inconvenient time b/c it didn't unlock with the doors the last time you hit that button. This solves that issue. Why Subaru designed it this way I've no idea.

So if you haven't wired the passenger door relays into the driver's door yet, I'm borrowing a previous post for those instructions. This will make all four doors unlock the first time you push "unlock" on the keychain remote - http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2972

Once you've got that piece knocked out, you're basically going to do the same thing with a 2nd wire - it's the white with black stripe that's right behind the lite green wire, 1 terminal inward from the end on the center row of terminals. Bear in mind that I'm working with an '05 OBXT, haven't tried this on any other cars.

There's another wire close by that's white/green I think, DON'T cut that one.

Clip the white/black wire about an inch & a half from the connector (in case you want to reconnect later)(you'll probably have to strip away the tape wrap to do this) and connect it to the light green wire used before. That's it - your trunk will now unlock with your driver's door (& passengers' if you did that too). The lock function remains unchanged.

Bonus points - I've now got 2 positive triggers from the key remote that aren't being used. I thought about rigging them to open/close the sunroof remotely, but haven't taken the time to do it. I do know the sunroof switch in the headliner works on negative triggers to the relay, and the relay is on IGN+, not constant+, so this would take some work. Anybody up for it?

I can think of absolutely no practical reason that one would want their trunk to open every time they unlocked their doors, but I guess you find that useful. Figure out a way to close the windows and the sunroof when you lock the doors and you'll be my new hero. That is something I can see being useful. ...unless you are leaving your windows cracked for a reason.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

since he has an outback xt im thinking its a wagon. on the wagon when u press the trunk button on the key fob. it unlocks the trunk. it does not pop open. jsut like if u unlocked a regular door

That's correct. Pressing the 3rd remote button merely unlocks the hatch, but doesn't open it. I'd agree that it wouldn't be desirable to open the trunk on a sedan each time you unlocked the car. :)

Maybe I should clarify that - I'm in the OB wagon, not a legacy sedan. This DOES NOT "open" the hatch, it merely unlocks it.

The trunk hatch on wagons requires a seperate remote button be pushed to unlock the trunk, it doesn't unlock with the doors. What really irritated me about it was the doors would typically be unlocked but the hatch typically stayed locked, unless I had a reason to hit that button since locking them the day before, for example. So I'd come out to the car with two armloads of stuff & manage to get a hand on the trunk handle only to find it's locked - then I have to balance everything while I dig out my keys to hit the seperate button.

That make more sense? This must have sounded pretty bizarre to y'all with sedans...

About the DEI module - sure, that could be rigged up w/o much trouble, but the pieces are already in there (relays, timers, etc) so it could be done with the simple addition of 2-3 SPDT relays & some wire-finding, about $10 total. something tells me there's an even simpler way to rig the existing relays & make it happen, but I lack the patience to try it.

You can get your windows to do that buddy

I can think of absolutely no practical reason that one would want their trunk to open every time they unlocked their doors, but I guess you find that useful. Figure out a way to close the windows and the sunroof when you lock the doors and you'll be my new hero. That is something I can see being useful. ...unless you are leaving your windows cracked for a reason.

• 1 year later...

Yes, yes, it has been over a year since anyone posted on this topic, but I must say, that I did the mod and installed a switch. Now I can unlock all the doors and the trunk with a single press. I can also flick the switch and return it to the original "double-press-unlocks-everything" mode. Not sure, but methinks that the Subaru Select Monitor solution does not offer this... Curious why this couldn't be programmed into the stock nav system... Anyway, thanks for the info Boulderguy!

PolarDog

The delaer can make it so you unlock all 4 doors and hatch with one push. It says so in the manual. Then you don't need to hack wires.

It seems dealers are rather lame about this. They either pretend (?) that they never heard of it, or they want to charge you 1/2 hr labor. Lame.

it's in the manual that it can be done....therefore, it can be done without hacking wires. I've had the car for almost 2 years now and I've never had a problem with hitting the button twice and I'm also still on the original keyfob battery. This is a stupid mod that isn't worth the hackjob.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

it's in the manual that it can be done....therefore, it can be done without hacking wires. I've had the car for almost 2 years now and I've never had a problem with hitting the button twice and I'm also still on the original keyfob battery. This is a stupid mod that isn't worth the hackjob.

mwiener, Thank you for your kind words and your guidance. Unfortunately, I am not as lucky with the remote as it appears you are. It sounds like the performance of your keyfob is predictable and consistent, which makes me jealous. As far as the documentation is concerned, yes, if it is printed, then there is a good chance that it is true. It also sounds like you have great success with the capabilities of your dealer and again I am jealous. Thanks again for your concerns.

PolarDog

mweiner, if you can tell me where the option is in the SSM options, I'll unhack and head back to the dealership. The option for unlocking all doors at once appears to only be possible on European model cars. While hooked up to the SSM, any option that might affect door locks was not accessible (this is on an OB 06 XT). Below are the options, I believe that I still have the dealership screenshot that shows which are accessbile that I can scan if that helps.

scooby.jpg.53ef36c695478aa84e9c6f3754908d2c.jpg

This is a stupid mod that isn't worth the hackjob.

You think splicing 2 wires is a hack job? Have you looked at your list of mods lately? What's wrong with you?

So please silence us all with your wisdom by pointing to someone - anyone - on this forum who has successfully accomplished this mod thru a dealer.

This mod is a hack job becasue all it is doing is saving you from pressing a button a second time. If you're really that lazy that you can't press the buttton a second time, maybe you need to get out more.

And none of my mods are hackjobs....All of them have a clear and concise purpose that could not be acomplished any other way.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Man o man... Hey, sorry for any offense to anybody.

I just wanted to say thanks for the info on this link as it worked out very well for me and my situation, and to say that I will be building on what I have learned here for another mod (involving auto-up windows and the actuation of the windows with the remote)

So many ways to solve a problem, I know. Some work better than others for me. Please take no offense if I didn't get yours to work...

So much pain and anger... ...ugh

PolarDog

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an '05 OBXT, and I just did the mod (splicing both wires). Super easy and it works great for unlocking all 4 doors and the trunk. BUT one problem. Now when the doors are locked, the security light flashes about every half second for about a minute, then it flashes twice every 3 seconds. When the doors are unlocked, the security light flashes once about every 3 seconds. When the key is in the ignition, the light does not flash.

When I deactivate the alarm, it seems to work normally (putting it in "valet mode", with the security light flashing every 3 seconds whether the doors are locked or unlocked.)

Has anyone else had this problem or any ideas on how to fix it?

Maybe you're stuck in Valet mode? Check the manual.

I thought that might be it, but I took it in and out of valet mode several times, and I'm still getting the flashing even when it's out. When it's in valet mode, the flashing seems to be "normal" (once every 3 seconds). When it's out, the flashing is like valet mode when unlocked, but different when locked (once every half second at first, then twice every 2 seconds)

Archived