LegacyGT.com

Does your sunroof cover squeek?

fragment

Mine is driving me nuts. It sounds like opening a styrofoam egg carton times 1000. Every little jiggle and bump and I get a chorus of squeeks right above my head. It didn't do this for the first couple of weeks I had the car, now its going on all the time.

I've looked at the cover trying to find a source/fix for the squeeks, and I think it might be due to friction between the cover and the aluminum channel it runs in.

Anyone else experience this? Better yet, anyone have a solution?

Mine is driving me nuts. It sounds like opening a styrofoam egg carton times 1000. Every little jiggle and bump and I get a chorus of squeeks right above my head. It didn't do this for the first couple of weeks I had the car, now its going on all the time.

I've looked at the cover trying to find a source/fix for the squeeks, and I think it might be due to friction between the cover and the aluminum channel it runs in.

Anyone else experience this? Better yet, anyone have a solution?

Mine makes a little noise as well. I believe what you are hearing is the fabric rubbing the vinyl trim piece surrounding the opening on the headliner. You may try either cleaning it or dressing it with a protectant like 303. anything to change the friction properties should change the sound (either better or worse), so it may take a bit of experimenting. I haven't really addressed this because I can only hear it when the car is really quiet, which isn't very often.

I don't have that yet, but have experienced a very similar sound in my previous car. The manufacturer recommended a silicon grease (looks like white toothpaste) which you apply around the rubber surround of the moonroof glass. Needs to be re-applied a couple of times a year to silence it.

• 6 months later...

Sorry but what's bike lube? Light petroleum or some kind of synthetic?

Apply some lubricant to the tracks. I sprayed bike lube on the front part and slide the shade back and forth several times to cover the entire track. Worked GREAT. No more squeek.

Apply some lubricant to the tracks. I sprayed bike lube on the front part and slide the shade back and forth several times to cover the entire track. Worked GREAT. No more squeek.

I did the same thing in the tracks, with tri-flow no less, great results.

I found that the squeak was coming from the fabric headliner material rubbing against the aluminum channel under the rubber molding surrounding the perimeter of the sunroof. I used double-sided tape between the two surfaces and remounted the rubber molding-> no more squeaks.

(Note to self...expand search techniques to include "other ways" to spell things :) )

Thanks for reviving this thread and giving me some ways to fix the squeak. I'll have to get some bike lube. Or would bike chain grease with Teflon do just as well?

A-B-C, 1-2-3.

Love my RBP GT!

bike chain with teflon will work fine. You don't need much. Just a little bit of a spray on either side (open sunroof 3/4 open) at the front of the cover. Then, close the sunroof and open & close several times to get the lube on the track completely.

• 8 months later...

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. Squeak was making me crazy, wasn't until yesterday that I figured out that it was the sunroof cover.

A couple of sprays and the sqaueak is gone.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It makes me wonder waht SOA's BSR spec looks like, I know Ford, Honda, Nissan and Hyundai (all companies I supply to) are all very militant about removing ANY instance of BSR that can be easily accomplished.

oops, I fergot... not everyone here is a slave in the auto industry...

BSR = Buzz, Squeak, Rattle

Most of the OEMs are targeting the Lexus BSR standards. Even Hyundai is. I work for a supplier that is supplying to Hyundai and they are SERIOUSLY ambitious about getting rid of ANY noises in the cabin....

I still won't buy a Hyundai though. They are teh suck when it comes to crashin'. Plus after watching 20/20's special on Korea (both N and S) and hearing all of the people they interviewed tell us how much they hate America and Americans - I just couldn't support that. I will stick with a Japanese, European or Domestic for now. No need to give more $$ to people that hate us, ya know? Just seems like a bad idea to me :confused:

oops, off track Drew.

Um yea, mine squeaks too. FTR. Need to try the grease.

Archived