LegacyGT.com

replacement faceplate

brdaaw

You can PM or email them. But this will not work easily with our cars. The hazar is on the wrong side and none of the buttons line up.

What you need if you are look'n for the double din is: http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_187&products_id=261

then you need brackets to hold the radio......and move the stock LCD display somehwere (and airbag sensor)

eh, i really didnt want to put it in the cubby. i would resent the fact that the stock stereo is still there. what do you mean the buttons dont line up. it looks like the unit replaces the existing hvac controls. the only other button is the hazard and that can get put anywhere. its not fixed to anything.

it might work -- but you'd have to rework the wiring for the hazzard lights...

i'm also not sure if the fitment is exactly the same. look for posts from another new member -- i think his name is 'brooklyngenious' -- he just did a fairly complete overhaul of his stereo system in his 2.5i and could probably pass along his knowledge.

you wouldnt have to redo the wiring for the hazard lights cause it has its own dedicated plug

it just snaps into the hole and you plug in the dedicated wire into it on the existing bezel setup

Your climate controls. How are 3 round knobs going to fit where an LCD, two smaller knobs and some buttons are?

i assume that the two smaller knobs replace the old three knobs and the plug that pluged into the unit wiht the three knobs plugs into the new two knobbed system. but thats all an assumption.

anyone out there know about that?

No, completely different setup. That faceplate comes with JDM single-zone auto climate control. It is not compatible with your manual setup or even the US dual-zone setup.

How do you know for sure it wouldnt work in a dual zone USDM car?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Has anybody looked at the wiring for the JDM panel vs the back of the US radio? It would be nice if we had the manuals(electrical) for the JDM panel.

Or at least a pic to see if its even close :)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Okay i did some reading, and so far i have good news and bad news.. but its the same news

After reading through the tech manual, i discovered that the controls that are connected to the radio are just 'dummy' controls if you will. Meaning that there is no 'logic' going on in the radio area. There is a 'controller' on the pass side by the glovebox (according to the manual you need to take the glovebox out to get to it)..

SOOO..

This leads us to some interesting possiblities.. First it means that since there is really no 'thinking' going on in the a/c controls that disassembly might not be as scary as it sounds.

So then the questions become, can the single zone climate control talk to a dual zone controller, and if it can, will air only come out of one side (lol) or will it be hot on one or cold on the other? LOL

Do the plugs match on the JDM panels? I was reading different threads and it seems unclear which of the two black connectors are the HVAC socket. I will take apart my dash and write it down(last time I just took pictures of the radio and didn’t care about the specific connectors). If they are the same then maybe AVO could 'loan' me a JDM panel to test. Of course if it works I'll buy it, if not it'll go back.

Looking through the spec sheets there are 4 wires of importance that go to the HVAC, power, ground, and two digital data lines. It could be as simple as one-way communication or two-way where the A/C control unit behaves differently dependent upon what is connected.

^ I did it in my mazda 6.......good luck it's a HUGE effort...Someone will have to basically buy a 2nd faceplate and circuit board work on that....it's fun, but takes TIME TIME TIME.....=)

I prob wouldn't do it again....wait I didn't I just got the Din for the cubby ;p

Hrmm, I just looked at back of my radio and both of the square black connectors are used. I unplugged the bottom one and left the top one connected(matches the JDM panel). The dual zone air and everything worked fine. So what is the other connector for?

Aparently its the wiring for the sub & remote hookup. Even though my car does not have that stuff.

Archived