LegacyGT.com

gas cap tether broke fuel plastic

On a recent long distance road trip I was constantly filling up the car with gas. During one of the stops I must have pulled a little too quickly on the gas cap because the plastic tether broke.

I don't like to have to find a place to put the gas cap every time I fill up and I really miss the tether.

Any ideas on how to fix or replace the tether.

I was going to price out a new gas cap with tether but I can't find them anywhere online.

Does anyone know where to find one or what the part number might be.

Thanks!

There aren't too many things I don't like about my car, but nowhere to put the gas cap pisses me off every time I fill up. :lol:

Even with the tether, I have to battle with it so it doesn't swing along the outside of the car

Oh yeah, Part # for the cap is 42031AG00A I don't think $11 is that much.

dont remember how much i bought this but it was less than $15 at advance auto

http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=3089&location_id=3755

when you push the gas nozzle through go slow, or the flap can fall off. if it does fall off its too big to fit in the tank nozzle flap to go into the tank (happens about 1x a month). one problem i see, when it rains a small amount of water gets trap where the stant gas cap flap is. its a very small amount of water.

i like it, i dont worry about the water since it is a small amount. you dont have to touch the gas cap, and the stant flap is spring loaded and an easy fix to put it back together if it falls off. but like i say go slow and you shouldnt have a problem (i figured out its the force of the nozzle pushing against it)

also think about all the polar bears your saving by not allowing hydrocarbons emissions when your filling up gas :)

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

My gas cap broke off a couple months ago and the tether was still attached to the cap. I figured out this works as the perfect cap holder. Stick the tether into the sheet metal clasp and it holds your cap while filling up.

UPDATE...

I went to the dealer that I've used for parts and gaskets since day 1 and they were very helpful!

I think list is about $19 but I told him I heard they were $11 bucks and they gave it to me for $11!!!

It came with the tether attached and is identical to the original.

I then installed a plastic retainer that I can hang my gas cap on.

VERY NICE!!!!

It looks just like this.....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61836

post 11

Archived