LegacyGT.com

Suspension recommendations from the experiences of a former Audi, now Subaru Fanatic

LaplaceTransform

Ok -- it's not the first time someone has provided a write-up about the do's and do-not's of upgrading your suspension, nor is it the first praising Subaru's; but I figured I'd chime in regarding my personal experiences.

I am a two-time Subaru owner -- and would highly recommend Subaru's to anyone considering purchasing a new vehicle. My previous vehicle was a B5 chassis Audi A4, and in all honesty, I praise almost every aspect of my 2007 Subaru Legacy over the A4 -- not to say that the A4 is not a great car -- rather, that Subaru's focus is directed towards the more commonly-overlooked performance-related facets of producing a car.

One such oversight with the A4 was the suspension -- for a car of the acclaimed caliber of an Audi A4, the suspension was lacking. My choice to rectify this issue was a commonly chosen route amongst Subaru owners: Bilsteins. Bilsteins are definitely great struts --don't get me wrong -- but something always seemed to be lacking. I had Neuspeed Race springs with my Bilsteins on the A4, and although the performance was excellent, I have to say that Subaru's All-Wheel-Drive system tailors itself much better to suspension upgrades.

Enter the Legacy: against my friend's advice, I took the less-traveled route of Koni Rebound-Adjustable Hydraulic struts. Due to the acclaim of Rallitek's sport springs for the LGT, it seemed fitting to pair it with these not-so-commonly-used struts.

The idea of being able to custom-tailor one's suspension to his/her personal tastes was, needless to say, quite appealing. Koni states that their struts are performance-minded with a "reasonable ride quality" -- in my opinion, they are being quite modest; the ride quality is actually better than stock when the struts are on their most conservative setting.

The Rallitek springs were, in my opinion, the perfect match for the struts -- the spring rates were not excessive, yet they almost eliminate squat and brake dive. With the Koni's on their softest setting, the Rallitek's managed body roll excellently, and when the struts were adjusted to about a quasi-firm setting, my Subaru let its true colors show.

To say that body roll was eliminated would be an understatement; the car feels like it is on rails, and when paired with Subaru's Symmetrical AWD, the car completely quite frankly obliterates the competition (namely, the A4 with the Bilstein's).

Although the Koni's have a slight reputation of being "Ricey", I would have to say that I am quite impressed -- don't let those Honda Civic's with the Altezza taillights and Can Exhausts frighten you away from Koni's; they really do deliver very impressive results.

To summarize the slightly verbose nature of this post, I would highly recommend the Koni-Rallitek pairing to any Subaru owner -- nay -- both the Koni's and the Rallitek's independently.

Hope this helps someone's suspension-buying adventure...

8610 1447 Sport 8010 1053 Sport

those...the Koni Yellows?

5-way adjustable correct?

Im in the process or comparing the Bilstien's to the Koni. I want a semi Adjustable Strut to pair up to a spring.

Coming from a dominate Honda background (Prelude's, not Civic's) I whole heartedly enjoyed a lil trial by error tuning on my suspension.

-Travis

Rob (rao) you're a fine gentleman, thanks I guess.

Yup, those are the ones!

Just so you know, with the Bils, you'll need the spec. B tophats and other related hardware. One stop shop at Fredbeans...

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-987/Bilstein-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

A spring designed for these is a good idea too. That way you won't get any funny ride height differences. ;)

Cheers!

yeah...keep looking at all the hacking and the sort to get the koni to work (easy install ish) then I just keep wandering back to FBP.com lol

the exact link too....lol

sigh I have NOTHING better to do at work...lol

-Travis

the problem being is that I cant adjust with the Bil's

the Koni I have the 5 way adjustment.....really dont want to go coilover as its a waste for me....ill never adjust my height

-Travis

lol

I think Im gonna settle on the Koni Yellows

less I can convince myself to get these:

http://www.fastwrx.com/tohtssh.html

Tokico HTS Replacements...dont know if they are like the KYB's which are just replacements....wish KYB made the AGX shock for the LGT....really had good success with KYB AGX and H&R springs

-----sorry for the thread jack-----

-Travis

hmm great write up, thanks! something i'll definitely look to do in the future. I'm currently running H-techs on stock struts, but with your impression on the Koni struts, i'll definitely go that route in the future when mine fail.

oh, i and one-up your Laplace with my Fourier.

Although the Koni's have a slight reputation of being "Ricey", I would have to say that I am quite impressed -- don't let those Honda Civic's with the Altezza taillights and Can Exhausts frighten you away from Koni's; they really do deliver very impressive results.

that's actually the first I've heard that. +abillionty for konis though.

now try some swaybars, an offset lca bushing, and a better alignment.

Just got done installing the Koni inserts about an hour ago. Went for a quick ride to test them out. I'm on iON springs with stock struts. With the Koni's at +1 firm, the ride was actually smoother than the stock struts. I was actually suprised by that. Gotta do the rears tomorrow and get an alignment.

Archived