LegacyGT.com

Koni install questions

devobuzz

I cut up the stock struts today and have a couple of questions:

1. Is the black rubber boot supposed to cover the entire yellow insert or should the insert stick out about an inch from the black rubber boot?

2. There are metal spacers supplied with the insert that are supposed to ake up any slack in sthe space between the strut housing and the insert. I didn' install these - should I worry? I don't think I needed them as the insert seemed tight enough. (I actually found them after the fact).

3. What is the white plastic ring for? The diagram shows them sitting on top of the insert.

Thanks,

Ralph

1 - yes the boot covers a good amount of the shock, and inch or 2 sounds about right.

2 - i dont think the metal spacers arent for our application. if you look at the instructions it shows two ways of installing the insert deending on how your owm shock is designed. i didnt use them either

3- not sure what ring youre talking about?

^ Sorry you're right. This is using USDM tophats. Here is a pic of what I was talking about. The top strut has the boot pulled up and the bottom with it down. Also the bottom strut has the white plastic washer which I don't know if I need.

IMG_3680a.jpg.fe80117556a11a5967f0006cb61427ee.jpg

RE The mysterious split washer (the white plastic piece).

I've never seen a good explanation for this - the one that made the most sense is to provide a vent for the top of shock, even if it's compressed against the bump stop.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Use the white washer.

You only need a metal washer on top if you are using Group N or Spec B Top Mounts.

-mike

mike, just curious what does it do and do you think its a problem i didnt use it? everything seems fine so i really dont want to try and get the washer on there if i dont have to.

thanks.

Archived